or Connect

Posts by BelovedBird

did they change the homebirth law recently?? someone went to the tzfat misrad hapnim with the same type of letter we had from shivtan and a maakav harayon from the achayot at the kuppah and they were sent away! anyone have any info??
Mazal tov on the babies! Happy lag b'omer!
Quote: I know that the requirement for separate tablescloths for meat and milk is a relatively 'new' arrival to the observance of Kashrut. I believe a seperatiomn between those eating milk and meat on the same table goes back to the mishna. Quote: I think another central part of my questions stems from "Who is a religious Jew?" Can you only be considered a religious practising Jew if you keep the Sabbath? That is the main...
Quote: Originally Posted by ema-adama How does a religious Jew decide what is binding and what is not? I know even within the orthodox practice of Judaism, some women show NO hair, some don't mind a few whisps escaping, and others keep their heads covered, but hair out. I also know Shomrei Shabbat who do not cover their hair at all. Some keep their arms covered to their wrists, others to their elbows and others just above the elbow. Also, there is a wide...
As an "ulra orthodox" jew I would not say that DL Jews break rules I consider essential. They rule differently, most of all on political and social ideals.
How does one know what the written torah is talking about without the oral? What are "totafot"? In my understanding the relationship between the oral torah and the written is like this: When Moshe came down from Mt sinai he taught the people "the torah" if it was just a book that was written they could just read it themselves. But, instead he taught them, gave classes. The classes he gave were the oral torah that G-d had explained to him. The written torah was like the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dahlia End of the year sale on Monday from 10:00 - 1:00 at 30 Hapardes St. Hod Hasharon!!!! Huge discounts on cloth diapers and up to 25% off of"green" baby products such as wooden toys, water bottles, and more..... Dahlia (Dahlia's Diapers & More) - 0522200505 or Gal (Nuli.co.il) 077-2144556 Hope to see some of you there!!!!! Dahlia, I suggest you edit your post before you get a mod alert. I got one for just...
Orthodox houses of worship are never called temples. To us, there was one temple- the beis hamikdash and unfortunately it was destroyed. An orthodox house of worship is vcalled a shul or synongogue and I have never, ever been charged money to daven (pray) in one. Although, if you want a seat for the high holidays (rosh hashanah and yom kippur) that generally does cost money.
Quote: Jewish women on their menses cannot sit on the regular furniture usually used by houshold members and have to have their own things designated just for menses. I have also heard of men not being able to touch women during that time. I have also heard about men not being able to eat from the food they cooked or be in the rooms with them, but really not sure if the source for those ideas is anywhere near sound. This is not true of any group of...
RE: amount of children. The first mitzva in the torah is peru urevu- to have children. This mitzva is obligatory (according to "orthodoxy" on every jewish man) the minimum to fulfill it is discussed in the gemara. The major opinions are one boy and one girl, 2 of each, one of each + one more of either gender, or to have grandchildren obviously if one tries and does not fulfill it that is G-d's will .....says the mother of 5 boys