or Connect

Posts by Piglet68

I'm glad my advice was helpful.    My daughter was a lot like your son in terms of the "perfectionist" streak!   Also, when performing tasks I find my kids are really challenged by "executive functioning" which is the ability to break a big task down into smaller tasks, or a big goal down into smaller steps. They see the end results, see where they are starting from, and get overwhelmed with "how to get there". This can create anxiety that manifests itself in "willful"...
We use Dreambox Learning and love, love, love it. They offer a free trial membership. It's a great option for kids who are visual learners and those who prefer using keyboards and computers to worksheets and pencils. 
It's interesting to see this thread revived. My son is now 9 and doesn't bite anymore. He can still get aggressive during a meltdown (throwing things, knocking over chairs, hitting people) but thankfully these incidents are becoming very rare.   The OPs daughter was not very verbal so I'm not sure how much this would help, but we have been having really good results with a clinical counsellor who does Michelle Garcia Winner type stuff, floortime type stuff, and...
The medical coverage varies somewhat from province to province here in Canada, and I'm in BC not Ontario so I can only tell you how it works here. Likely there aren't huge differences, however.    Here, there is no cost for assessment, but you need a referral from a pediatrician, which requires a referral from your GP (no cost for those either). After that, you go on a wait list for the test which is about a year here in BC. You can also choose to go private and pay for...
I have an 11 year old DD with Aspergers and a 9 year old DS with HFA. The "symptoms" you describe are definitely consistent with autism, but you will need a proper diagnosis as it could be other things and of course one cannot diagnose over the internet!   With that said, back when I first suspected my son might have autism, I read Tony Attwood's book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome". It was an excellent read, very informative, and by the end of the book I had...
I also wanted to mention Dr. Gordon Neufeld's work on attachment. Many of you are probably familiar with this as it relates to young children, and I followed it myself when my kids were little. One part of this involves the idea of an "attachment cup" and young children come to you to "fill their cup", say when they are sick and get clingy, or when a toddler comes over to nurse for a few seconds and then gets up and goes back to what he was doing, or when older children...
I think what our tweens and teens need most from us is a solid, healthy relationship where they feel they can trust us with their feelings and emotions and know that we are always on their side.   So when DD gets some of that "tween attitude", instead of focusing on that, I say "hey, what's going on for you right now?" in a kind and sympathetic tone. You'd be amazed how quickly the attitude drops and the tears or pleas for help follow such an invitation. I bypass...
 You have children and are grossed out by this? I find that odd. After giving birth and changing diapers and getting puked on and newborn explosive poops, well....body fluids really don't phase me, lol. My daughter has seen me using cloth pads since she was in cloth diapers. It never occurred to her to use disposable pads - in fact she thinks the idea of disposables is just gross (so do I - they are full of plastics, use up Earth's resources to make for one use, and end up...
The idea of every kid having their own room is a bizarre concept for most of the world, and through most of our history. I would say, therefore, that there is absolutely no NEED for a child to have their own room.    My kids are 9 and 11, boy and girl, and they share a room because we live in a tiny, 2 bedroom home. My daughter gets dressed either in the bathroom or my (me and DH's) room. It's really no big deal.   Which isn't to say that I wouldn't like for them to...