or Connect

Posts by Piglet68

I'm not Miranda, but I would say that I, too, devote maybe 3 or 4 hours per week to homeschooling. In a good week, lol.   Part of it is that I don't have a big list of things I think they are "supposed" to learn. They both started reading at a very early age, so really after that point they could find information on their own. They have their interests and they know an awful lot about those interests, then they have general knowledge about basic things that you really...
I also wanted to comment on the subject of regulating screen time.   I'm not one of those people who think all kids should have no limits on screen time. I get that for some kids this is challenging, and while I may use a different approach than directly limiting the screen time, i would definitely address this if I felt it were an issue in our family. It hasn't been for my kids, but that is not everybody's experience.   I said it mostly because I think people have...
 Amen, Amen! Very nicely put.
My 9 year old is HFA and he was a real handful when he was younger. There seem to be two camps when it comes to how to discipline kids with autism. One is behavioural, and relies heavily on reinforcement/reward and/or mild punishments to encourage "desired" behaviours and discourage undesired ones. The other approach is more developmentally based, using cognitive-behavioural therapy type stuff. There is some reward aspects to this but a lot of it is based on identifying...
I left my job as a research scientist when I had my kids. When DS (my youngest) was about 2 I started a consulting business, working mostly from home. Did that until last year. It was very part time, but paid well. But I realized that if I ever wanted my business to grow I would have to do some serious self-marketing and self-promotion and that is just not who I am. So last year to bring in some extra income I got a job as an academic editor and I work online, set my own...
I don't understand why YOU are the parent who has to homeschool but your husband gets to decide how you do that. I would say to him "Hey, I'm not crazy about this idea, but I will do it because you want to, but I'm going to do it MY way."   Second, have you looked into unschooling, like REALLY looked into it, not just reading about it in popular media? Your child does not need a curriculum. Sure, some kids do great with them but it seems like you are butting heads with...
Wow, you guys are working way too hard at this! ;-)   Don't get me wrong: my house is rarely presentable and I have to-do lists everywhere that get neglected, but homeschooling is the easiest part of my life. Whenever I hear parents freaking out "can I do this?!" I think "Honey, you have no idea how simple it really is."    I should say, it CAN be that simple if you want it to be.    And SweetSilver, thanks for a great chuckle - very funny!
I think it's easy to pick a curriculum or lifestyle approach or even a parenting style that seems like a great idea for us. One we can wrap our minds around and say "Yes! That is what I want for my kids/family/myself." It can all sound really good on paper.   But sometimes, in practice, it turns out that these great ideas just aren't realistic based on who we are, who our kids are, our family's lifestyle and values, etc. And it can be hard to come to terms with...
I'm very interested in this discussion because I struggle with how to introduce my own children when I need to explain their situation.   For example, last month we started attending a drop-in gymnastics class at our local gym club. I needed the supervising coach to understand that my son might need my assistance and therefore would I be allowed to go out on the floor if I saw he needed help? and also, to let them know that they can wave me over at any time if needed. So...
It can definitely be hard to get "me time" or "couple time" or even any down time when your children are very young. All I can say is that it does get better as the kids get older.   I'm wondering whether you have respite care available? I don't know how funding works where you are or what kind of support systems are available, but this may be something to consider. Such people are professionals who are used to handling children who need such close attention.    Also,...