or Connect

Posts by Piglet68

You guys are so sweet.   This place has always felt like a bit of a home.  I agree that being somewhere in the middle is a nice place to be. Though the middle on MDC is still a bit out there in mainstream land, lol! But yeah, I've mellowed out a bit over the years.  I also seem to no longer know how to parse quotes. The old codes don't work anymore. Time for this dinosaur to learn some new tricks I guess, lol. Isn't life with older kids great? I'm so enjoying the people...
Hi everyone. I joined in 2002 when I was still pregnant with my first. Both my babies were "born on MDC" (due date clubs, etc). They are now 9 and 11, can you believe it??!!!   I was also a mod for a while.   This place made me the mother I am today. Though time has mellowed me: I used to be rather rigid in my views, an AP zealot really, lol, but I've learned to relax a bit and understand that different ways can work for different families.    I took a break from...
I confess I have not read through the whole thread, but one impression I got from the OP is that there is a lot of conflict between you and your DD. And it sounds like this conflict stems from your fear that she is using her APD as an excuse or crutch, that she is trying to "get away with some stuff" and it's hard to tell whether it is really APD or not.    I would like to gently suggest that you stop worrying about that and just treat her as if she is honestly trying...
Having been where you are, I can tell you that it is basically impossible to answer your question. Autism symptoms are like a big bag of marbles that come in 20 colours and each kid gets 10 marbles. So you can find two kids with totally different marble colours, but the more kids you group together the more similarities you find until you realize they are all drawing from the same bag.    My advice is this: go through the evaluation and try to keep an open mind; they...
I've also BTDT. It is hardest when the child injured is your own, because the mama bear in you wants to rip the offender's ears off, but then you are that child's mama bear, too!   My best advice is to think about what you want to say to your son and offer a sincere apology for whatever it was you did that you think was wrong (yelling, for example). Keep it short and simple, b/c if he is anything like my HFA son he'll start tuning you out if you go on too long,...
I basically try to offer them as much control as I think they can handle. How's that for a specific answer? lol...   When it comes to safety, I'm the bottom line (car seats, etc).    Also, there are some things where having too many choices is overwhelming to the kids, so I try to make it easier by limiting their choices (this is usually for minor things).    If it's not life threatening, and if their choices don't negatively impact the rest of the family, then I...
You've gotten some great suggestions here.    If it is her weight you are worried about then, until you can find some way for her to willingly incorporate exercise into her day, you could just get her to cut down on the amount of food she eats, or choose lower calorie foods. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it sure makes it easier. Plus exercise is so good for overall health and mental well-being. 
Hi samhope. I am homeschooling my two kids on the spectrum. DD has Aspergers and DS is high functioning autistic.   We purely unschooled up until about a year ago. They were diagnosed two years ago.    One thing I had noticed, and it made more sense when we understood what we were dealing with, is that although they were self-motivated learners they had pretty limited interests. They would focus on one or two things and that was it. They also actively avoided things if...
I was sure I was going to be at a no-loss or gain because we went away this weekend to celebrate a friend's bar mitzvah and I ate a lot on Saturday. However, I came down with the flu and yesterday ate virtually nothing so overall I think I've maintained enough caloric deficit to lose on schedule, if not maintain. Today's weight is a bit low due to dehydration but next week's will make up for that if so.   141 lbs.