or Connect

Posts by Piglet68

Just wanted to say that I had a wonderful physiotherapy appointment yesterday. Great news: I do not have a stress fracture (bone injury), it is just some really sore, tight, knotted up muscles. He gave me some exercises and stretching to do and I am to hold off on running for one more week but should get the go ahead to start up again. I'm very happy! This week I am allowed to go for walks so that is what I have been doing. Already feeling better!
I know what you mean, filamentary, about having an out-of-whack concept of portions. When I started weighing my food I, too, was floored at some of the calorie counts. I also found "eat when you are hungry" to be challenging because I might unknowingly eat something really high in calories even though I was actually hungry (because I may have eaten something earlier that was not filling or satiating).    I was eating paleo + dairy for about a year and a half but for me...
My kids have to do things that they don't necessarily want to do. Believe me, if it were entirely up to them they would never do their mathwork, or attend certain functions, and they definitely wouldn't do any housework or cooking. Nor would my son go to bed on time. :) The difference is that their attending such things and doing such work is done willingly because we discussed and negotiated. They saw that either it was important to me, or that it brought them benefits...
Well, let's just say that I hold some very different values from others posting on here. I would never force my kid to go to school if he hated it (actually, we homeschool but I would consider letting them go to school if they wanted to). My children have lots of unstructured free time so we don't have to limit video games or screen time - there is enough time in their day to get their fill of that and do many other things they enjoy as well. I don't have to fight with my...
I think the word "addictive" gets bandied about a lot.    Take a kid who goes to school 6 hours a day. They may even be in before and/or after school care. Then they have their extracurricular activities. And homework. Between meals and sleeping how much free time do they actually have? If it seems all they want to do is be on their devices maybe it's because their lives are overscheduled and it's the only escape/down time they have?    My kids have always had tons of...
Can I just say I am loving PBH? It took a couple sessions with each kid for us to find our groove, but they have each settled on a long term project and I'm loving how much learning is taking place.   Dd has been working on a comic book. She is an avid drawer and storyteller but she rarely ever completes any of the stuff she starts. When I noticed her working on a comic strip I asked if she would like to make that her "project" for PBH. She was happy to do so and seems...
In the Fitness and Weight Management forum a bunch of us are doing an 8 week challenge. You might want to join. It's already started but you could join and not be on a team, we'll support you anyway!   I manage to exercise regularly BUT...my kids are old enough to be left home alone for a while and we live right on miles of trails so I don't have to drive anywhere - I can walk, run, or cycle right from my front door and stay "in the 'hood".   But yes, life is still...
AAK: that's funny b/c we bought a fancy new digital scale about a month ago and it had me as a bit heavier than my old scale so I stuck with the old one since I'd been using it from the beginning of my weight loss journey. The new one also measures body fat, water, muscle, and bone density so I use it for that about once every other week or so.    Since weight does fluctuate I recommend anybody looking to lose weight slowly track their moving averages. Even if your...
The scales said 144 today, which means no loss from last week.    However, for the last few days it was 143.5, so it's one of those fluctuation things. In the spirit of fairness, I'm reporting it as a "no loss" week, but I'm not unhappy because my spreadsheet (I track 3-day, 5-day, and 7-day running averages) tells me I've lost weight this week. My goal is 0.5 lbs per week and my 3-day average shows 0.4 lbs lost, so I was close.    It should show up as a double loss (1...