or Connect

Posts by Piglet68

Nope, just need a rabies certificate. I brought my cat across the border a few times when I had her, once post-911 and nobody ever asked but of course I'll have one just in case. The rescue lady said she's adopted out 4 dogs in the last month to people in BC. I told her there wasn't much out here right now if you wanted young, active, good with kids, and NOT a Pit Bull or Rottie cross!
She is about a year old, and appears to have Aussie cattle dog/shepherd in her due to her colouring. She's got brownish/blackish ears and black "saddle" on the back, the rest is white but with cloudy spots (typical aussie type markings) in both grey and beige. She is very beautiful in the photos! I spoke with the rescue lady and her temperament seems like a great fit for us. She's in Washington and I'm planning to go down this Friday to get her. Unless she has been...
Okay, I may be jinxing myself here b/c I haven't picked her up yet (or seen her in person) but I'm pretty sure she is The One. I'm travelling 3 hrs to pick her up this Friday. She is about a year old, a female mutt that seems to have cattle dog/Aussie shephard in her somewhere. She has the brownish/blackish ears and saddle of a shepherd and the rest of her is white with that sort of faint spotted/cloudy look that Aussie dogs have. What's really cool is that the...
Hi Ola, I'm jumping in here b/c I too want to feed raw and your post was very clear, concise, and helpful! I have a few more questions... When you are shopping for meat, what price/lb do you consider reasonable? Should previously frozen meals be thawed completely or does it matter if some is still a bit icy (I'm guessing the dog may not like it that way?) Where do you feed your dogs - inside (if so, on what sort of flooring, do you use a mat or other such thing?) or...
I wanted to bump this thread since it looks like we are bringing home our rescue dog this week and I know robugmum is expecting her puppy soon...I would love to have a place to discuss fun places to go with dogs, feeding, trainers in the area, etc. The last time I did a training class it was a private dog training school in our neighbourhood (East Van). I was in PetSmart today (North Van) and noticed they have obedience classes. Has anyone ever been to theirs or heard...
Tiffani, I hope it all goes swiftly and smoothly! We have some adoption news of our own. I think I've finally found my dog, "The One"! She's at a rescue in Snoqualmie, Washington and I'm planning to go down this Friday to pick her up! Unless she is not at all what is shown in the photos and in her temperament description I may have a dog soon!! I won't describe her further as I share Tiffani's jinxing concerns... I'm very excited! I bought a leash and collar, and a...
I agree with the above poster. Drop the conversation for now as your son is still so little. Find homeschooling families in your area and start hanging out with them. If there is a drop-in or weekly get-together even better. If you and your DH end up befriending a fellow homelearning family even better. Basically you just want to meet some normal, successful homelearning families and incorporate them into your group of friends and aquaintances. Many homelearning families...
Hi Laggie, I believe you don't need to have your kids vaxed but if not then you need to sign a paper saying you did this deliberately...? Nanad: if you want a more rural area with land and to have animals you will need to be far from the city, which means a nasty long commute for your husband. You might want to try somewhere out in Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge/Mission along the West Coast Express line. That commuter train takes 45 min to downtown and is apparently quite...
I guess I don't understand why someone would want to have a dog that is known to be a barker if they live in an area where that would be a problem. And debarking seems a crazy way to deal with what is apparently an unwanted breed trait. Wouldn't it be better to just breed it out of them? Any surgery is a risk, and pain is a factor whether it's temporary or not (kind of like the circumcision argument that the babies forget). I realize the OP is not getting a dog...
My parent saved up from the time we were little so my undergraduate tuition was paid for. It wasn't available for anything else but I was a science-minded kid from the get-go and always knew I'd go to University some day. My parents paid for alot of my graduate school too, whether directly through tuition or through supplementing my income - I worked all through grad school to pay my rent (lived with roommates) and other living expenses. I also took on Student Loans for a...