or Connect

Posts by Bad Mama Jama

I am not certain.  It sounds like a lot for you.  Are you alone with him?  Is there someone who could also trade off duties with you when he is melting down?  Is there a medical school in your area?  Maybe they would also offer a program that could assist you.  Also is there a family or children's organization in your area that also offers services?   I have no idea if this will work, but try the Bach's Rescue Remedy Pastilles.  I know they helped to calm my dd down...
i agree that it is nice when tv is a treat.  for me it grew out of the annoyance of my ex constantly watching and even sleeping with it on.  it drove me absolutely nuts!  i found that my home was so much quieter without it on all the time.  nowadays, it's a treat for us.  when she goes to my granny's i have learned to allow her to relax the policy.   i've learned that there isn't an absolute right or wrong, you just have to do what works best and is manageable for...
I agree with instituting the no-whining policy.  Offer them a choice, if you whine about using it, you will be choosing to have it turned off.  When I am offering the choice, I emphasize that, "I would love you to continue to _________________.  However, by doing this you are choosing not to ____________________."
walk the dog go to the park clean draw pictures dance
i think you are approaching the matter realistically and honestly.  and i also agree that what is a comfortable standard for a child is not what adults should strive for as far as their own tv viewing.  you are on the right path, mama!
Ah yes!  The time old debate...   I cannot lie and say that it doesn't irritate me.  Coming from the perspective of a black woman, I have to say that it irks me that my dd can't be beautiful on her own and folks feel like there is something that makes her a bit more sparkly due to her multicultural parentage.  Sheesh.  I cannot tell you how often this has driven me nuts and I often wondered, why don't people just say, "What a beautiful kid!"   Why can't she be...
This is a friendly nite from your neighborhood moderator. Please keep the conversation civil. Everyone deserves to be heard without judgement or the fear of persecution. Thank you for your attention to this. Back to your regularly scheduled thread... Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
i ignore Father's Day for the most part.  i send my love the the man that raised me, but my dd hasn't seen hers since 2007.  one year though, she made me a Father's Day gift at daycare and that really touched my heart.  other than that, nada.  i do often flash back to the first Father's Day after my dd was born and it just turns my stomach.  i recall asking the ex to come get her out of the bat with me and he grunted and said it was Father's Day and he shouldn't have to...
i agree with all of the above.  kids take sides.  they speak out of loyalty to us, but if there is not a dangerous situation or abuse, i would suggest that they go.
I understand that it is indeed a sensitive subject.  i remember being baffled that people were very quick to attribute my dd's cuteness to being something other than black.  for example, "she is so cute!  she looks like a little puerto rican baby."  or when an arabic woman at a shoe store tried to pick up my dd who was clearly "lost" though I was standing right next to her.  i just think that it hurts us when we are tired of the ignorance that abounds.   i just...