or Connect

Posts by DariusMom

We gave DS a phone this year when he was 10. It's a cheapy basic one that has around $10 on it. It helps us let DS be free-range. Free range is and always has been our ideal But as DS goes to a school outside our neighborhood now, with kids he wants to play with outside our neighborhood, it became more of a necessity. Also, DS has a few activities (clay class, chess club) that he can go to on his own, as long as I know he'll call/text me when he's leaving and when he...
I can sympathize. I live in the Netherlands and I think the mentality/culture as quite similar to Denmark. The only difference, I think, is that there isn't the public/private divide in NL (even Montessori, Waldorf, religious schools are "public" in the sense of not having to pay school fees and ultimately being responsible to the Ministry of Education. Only international schools are private in the way we think of that in North America).   Listen to your partner on...
I think it was probably cathartic to write this email. I imagine it might help you focus you thoughts and get to the core of what your issues are and what you want to say to the teacher. However, I really believe you should schedule a meeting and talk face-to-face. There's just too much potential for miscommunication via email, especially about something so important.   Everyone else has had good advice.   Hang in there!  
Sorry but it's just very very hard to understand your writing. Is English your native language? Are you running your text through an online translator? *NOT* being snide! I just would like to understand and help, if possible.  
That's me!   I'm not an anthroposophist, wasn't raised one (was raised reform Jewish) and actually thought it was all a load of malarky until DS grew increasingly unhappy at his traditional school. You can read some of my posts from a few years ago when we were deciding whether to move him or not. He's now thriving at a Waldorf school but, to be fair, we're in N. Europe and the Waldorf school here works more like a Waldrof charter would in N. America. There are a range...
We're Jewish and my DS started Waldorf midway through 2nd grade. 3rd grade was actually great because the whole first have of the year was centered on Hebrew scriptures and I was invited in throughout the year to talk about Jewish celebrations. The class also visited the local synagogue.   Of course, a lot can depend on the class, teacher, and school, as is the case in all schools but, I think, is especially true for Waldorf schools. However, in our experience, the...
My son has incredibly flat feet. His left foot is especially flat. His feet have caused him problems in a few ways. The extreme flatness exacerbates the problems caused by his hypermobility and his legs often hurt, especially after a hard day of playing and running around a lot. We used to think it was "growing pains" but the pain is far more extreme and has lasted for the last 6 years. He is also incredibly clumsy.   Thankfully, our insurance pays for 100% of custom...
My DS just started fourth grade and the level of math instruction is actually ahead of language instruction. Now . . . that can also depend *a lot* on the teacher, as well as the dynamics of the class. I believe the science instruction is more or less on par with where the local public schools are.   Anyway, as other posters suggested, take a look at the specific school, talk to them, see what their curriculum looks like, talk to other parents, and then see what's...
I'm a humanities PhD (history) and defended 3 years ago. Don't go into the humanities with any expectation of getting community college/university level teaching jobs . . . ever!   Hate to be a downer. I've actually done better than most of my cohort because I got a prestigious semester-long fellowship then a two-year post-doc immediately after defending. But I'm not particularly mobile due to my DH's job (plus the fact that we love where we are). So now I'm on my...
Thanks!   I'm glad you took in the spirit I intended it. This issue can be so fraught and I was slightly worried I'd get self-righteous responses such as, "*I* priortize time with my children over retirement." Of course, this is perfectly valid, but it's generally the tone in which it's said IRL that drives me crazy . . . .   Anyway, I do think that women forget about the long-term benefits of staying economically active and only look at the calculation of X amount at...