or Connect

Posts by DariusMom

We live in northern Europe and even in DS' old "normal"  school (before we moved him to Waldorf in the middle of 2nd grade), the kids didn't learn to start reading til 1st grade, when they were between six or seven years old, depending on when they began school. They may have had some letters introduced in kindergarten, but certainly no structural attempts at learning to read.
Yep! That's my DS. He's doing ok because he has a fantastic tutor (at his Waldorf school) who is doing a modified Davis method for spelling and helping him with sight reading. He got an A in reading comprehension on the national standaridized tests! (and a F in spelling! But we're working on it!). He's creative and the Waldorf school promotes that so he feels so much pride in his work and confidence in himself, despite the fact that he reads more slowly than other kids....
Tried to multi-quote above but it didn't work.   Anyway, DS' "new" school is a bit like this. (He's been there since Nov. 2010, though, so it's not so new anymore! ) Anyway, after having lived through DS being so unhappy, excluded, and just generally losing confidence in himself, I stopped caring about how the school performed on standaridized tests, etc. I cared about the atmosphere and the overall values being taught and modeled at the school. Of course, I want DS to...
The school we pulled DS from was also one of the best performing schools around and every parent wanted to go there. His new school . .. actually overall bad reports (though they're working hard on it!). Great atmosphere, lovely kids and families. DS fit in immediately and loves it. We're so glad we made the switch!   I'm very very happy for you and your child. What a great update!
We do. Our cleaners are a married couple who come in for a total of 3 hours a week (1.5 hours on Mondays and 1.5 hours on Thursdays). They do all the deep cleaning -- vacuum, mop, clean toilets and sinks, dust, etc.. They also iron DH's work shirts. They don't do laundry or change sheets, though they do make the beds. It's a huge relief to have the house clean.   Yes, clutter still builds up. Yes, we still need to straighten up and do our laundry, but it's a massive...
No.
I started my PhD when DS was 9 months old.   I was able to do it with four days a week of daycare. However, I did not have to TA my first year and DH and I were very much together and on the same team, so I could do a fair amount of work in the evenings and on weekends while he took care of DS. Considering all the stresses in your life, I would plan for FT day care if you can at all afford it. That gives you the extra "wiggle room" you may need when adjusting to the...
http://www.seizoener.nl/   This magazine goes out four times a year to families in many (most? not sure) Waldorf schools in the Netherlands.   The website is obviously in Dutch, but if you email in English, I'm sure they can read it. Most Dutch people around the age to au pair speak very good English.   Anyway, hope this helps!
I quoted that exact same passage, as well, Hoopin' Mama!   According to these posters, trying to help our kids negotiate difficult social situations and feeling sad about those same social situations on behalf of our kids has suddenly morphed into being Tools of the Oppressive Man, forcing free spirited kids into some conformist mode  . . . [insert eye roll!]   Thanks, mom2qts.   I, too, am appalled by some of the harsh generalizations in a few of the responses. I feel,...
I really feel that Serenbat is missing the point.   My DS is very social -- he can immediately start playing with other kids, even kids he's never met before, he plays nicely with others (shares, takes turns, etc.), likes people, answers appropriately when spoken to, etc.  I'm guessing that's more or less what the OP and mom2qts mean when they say their child is social, too.   In the case of my DS, despite how social he was (and is!) and the fact that he does...