or Connect

Posts by dillonandmarasmom

We will be taking a 10 hour flight in March. This will be our kids' first experiences on an airplane, and it is going to be LONG! We will have one layover at LAX, but then straight over the US and Atlantic. My youngest (of three) will be 15 months. I am planning to take his TruFit on board, but I am wondering about the airport termminal situation. I believe we will be stopping at LAX for a couple of hours. Then we're off for the remaining flying time. It sounds like a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lisa1970 Someone did tell me that it is hard to go from homeschooling to regular school because at homeschool, you are always moving forward and doing meaningful learning and such. But in a regular classroom, you might spend 2 months on review because the rest of the class needs it. You just do not move forward or have the challenge or good quality academics in a classroom that you have at home. My sister is a teacher and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lisa1970 It seems as if we notice those that are doing things, and not those who are not. Know what I mean? So, if a hand full of children are reading well, we don't notice the other 90% who are not. My 6 yr old was in public school last year and left the grade ahead of grade level, yet, was barely reading. In fact, he struggled with basic Mat sat on cat. It seemed as if all he noticed (and me too) the kids around him who...
Quote: Originally Posted by jeteaa dd1 who is in ps 1st grade was not reading at all 4 weeks ago, but is now able to sound out most normal phonic words. She would still rather be playing then working on reading at home to "catch-up" with her classmate. My main concern is that ALL they do in class is math, writing and reading... no science, social studies etc. Then she is send home with review work. We could be doing our own science projects.... BUT THERE...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move super. DD#1 (asperger's and gifted) is doing great this year. This is her second year of school and last year was bumpy. Painfully bumpy. This year, however, she's happy, learning, and may even blossom. DD#2 is doing fine with school, but broke her arm really badly, had surgery, is on pain meds, and is just having a bit of a rough go. School is both good and bad in this situation because it gives her...
Bunping this to see how it's going for everyone. DD is a typical, well-adjusted and progressing kinder, so that's nice to know. She is having a minor night-time potty regression, but it is very infrequent and all else seems pretty okay, so I am just watching to see if it worsens. So far, she continues to chat us up about her day. And, we spend a lot of time writign words, reading, and playing school. All what we expected. DS is really loving school and his friends,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellp What, there's no mention of the new issue of Knitty up? Go have a look! Methinks I want to make this one: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/PATTlia.php The kids would get a kick out of this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEdf10/PATTchow.php I really like Lia, too. I have been trying to figure out what to do with some chunky...perfect!
I went with my instincts on this one...please erase this ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you for taking us through your son's exprerience. I just received a letter today from DS's school stating that a preliminary test by the nurse showed a +1.5 (that was the highest she could record on the form, so who knows how accurate) in his right eye. He was tested for lazy eye at 3 and I was told to let it go as it could just be a normal muscle development phase. Now, 4 years later, I am grateful to have been told of this possibility in him. He is, as I thought...
Thank you for this wonderful discussion! We put our formerly unschooled 5 and 7 year olds in a charter school this year. While the seven year old is just beginning to read, and is therefore "behind" some of the others his age, he has so many areas of himself that are very well-developed. And, while I have received some ridicule (from random internet strangers with nothing better to do, I suppose) for allowing him to spend hours on Legos, I absolutely admire his tenacity...