or Connect

Posts by dillonandmarasmom

Who is "everyone"? I had non-vaxed kids in my in-home childcare almost exclusively. But, they also all ended up in larger daycares and preschools. We rarely dealt with illness other than an occasional stuffy/runny nose, really. Really, though, who is "everyone"? No one has ever said this in my circle of friends. FTR, my kids aren't vaxed. DS1 was partially vaxed until he had pertussis at about 3 years of age (which we treated with the usual round of abx for the...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathymuggle It looks like DD (11) may choose to go to school. I have a question - what do you do (or intend to do) if the school does something you don't like?I do not hold many of the same beliefs as school and I do not know how this is going to work out. I can see me letting go of smaller stuff - but bigger stuff? I think a root issue is I do not trust schools (negative experiences plus - why should I trust them - I...
Quote: Originally Posted by ecoteat I was thinking the same thing! Are there any true CSAs from actual farmers available to you instead? ditto to Applegirl, too. Sounds like they may be trying to broaden their client base by offering unique items. Sounds pretty suspect. And, a CSA, by nature, is intended to be community based, supporting local foods. Definitely shop around.
Not sure why this is in learning at school. Hm. Her speech reminds me of one given by a former unschooler at a conference. I wish I could remember whom she was. I'll go back in my emails to find it. She says many of the same things about her feelings regarding "working the system" and learning to regurgitate facts and say what she knew her teachers wanted to hear. FTR, my kids were unschooled until Wednesday when we placed them in a charter for science and...
Sounds like there are quite a few of us out there. We enrolled our two school-aged former unschoolers in a public sci-tech charter that is brand new this year. While I am still feeling hesitant and anxious, I am also excited and looking forward to making this a positive experience for them. Good luck everyone!
The people, teachers, principal would be most important to us. While having a good community can be good, if it is not supported by a fantastic staff, it may or may not last, and could actually become a source of problems or conflict (I can elaborate on that if you'd like). We are sending both our oldest to a brand new school. No community yet, and the students are from 3 different cities. But, the staff, all of whom come from public schools, are amazing! They totally...
I guess my set-up doesn't qualify as real help, but we have an older Escape with a booster and a TruFit (rear facing). My third is 4'9" and almost 70 pounds, so he recently came out of his booster. When he was in it, we had two boosters and a Britax Dec. Not easy, but workable. I am actually moving in the opposite direction and buying an Odyssey, but my kids are just tall and the SUV no longer works for any of us.
Quote: Originally Posted by CherryBombMama (i dont usually post here, but had some input) i was in swim team most of my childhood/teenage years. there is a huge difference between diving in w/ your head at an angle, chin to chest and the water going over your head and falling in face first (or diving in face first) and having the water smack you hard in the eyes! maybe its not scientific or anything, but it can hurt, and like another poster said, it...
My kids usually respond themselves if they are around. Their response is something like, "I don't go to school," or, "I learn at home." We keep the tone as matter-of-fact, or no-big-deal-like as we can. I have been saying, "We homeschool." Sorry they make comments. Lame. I don't know how I'd deal with that. Maybe just say, "To each their own..."?
Quote: Originally Posted by happysmileylady Have you considered calling one of the hoarding shows or clean house or clean sweep? At the very least, you will have the help of people who are accustomed to dealing with people who are like that. I have started watching these shows and was about to suggest this, too. They will get her some "help" as well. From what I saw on the hoarders show, it is a pretty debilitating thing. So sad .