or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

There are as many different ways to homeschool as their are families that homeschool. There isn't one right way, there is just what works best for your family. My favorite thing about this board is that there are so many different kinds of homeschoolers and unschoolers here. One of my favorite books about homeschooling is the "Homeschooling Book of Answers" by Dobson. Another good one is "Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Make Sense" by Gutterson. My kids are 4...
<> I'm learning a ton along with my kids and getting really excited and interested in things again. Because we read real books and do all sorts of cool projects, I get to learn now all things that I didn't learn in school. I always found history and science boring in school, now I love them. I go over lists of great books for kids and request them from our library. We take lots of lots of...
faerie mom, I didn't take it that way at all! I was worried that you had taken ME the wrong way! ROFL! Our lesson time is truly quality time. We do very cool things like owl pellets, play with math manipulatives, etc. The kids really enjoy it and don't like it when we take breaks. We tried unschooling for a while but it didn't work for us because my kids really like me to have a plan AND it was too easy to not spend enough time with them. I guess we each have to figure...
Jenga (whole family fun) Bear in the big Blue House Game (great for 3 and 4 year olds) Go Fish Cliffords Birthday Party Game (my 4 year old current favorite) We've ordered some great games from Scholastic. Ladybug Addition and Spider Spot Subtraction and the Transportation Game. Jr. Monopoly is my 6 year olds current fav. Bingo checkers macala (sp??) my kids really love playing their own version of Risk, which is nothing like the regular...
I think that we should work toward making our lives the way we want them to be. For me, that meant letting go of the idea of playing with my kids because it just didn't work for us. It seemed like something that I "should" do but that neither they or I enjoyed very much. I didn't mean to imply that anyone else should or shouldn't play with their kids! I think that when we reach a point that day after day we go to bed feeling guilty about what didn't get done and aren't...
I do Flylady and it really really helps. I have a morning and evening routine, and a weekly plan where different jobs are focused on each day. My morning routine has to be done before ANYTHING else or everything starts falling apart around here, but it doesn't take that long. After it, I see to the children -- breakfast, getting dressed, lessons (we aren't unschoolers.) When that is done, I set the timer for one hour and work on my jobs for that day. By then it is lunch...
We've did this last fall! It was way cool and we will do it again next year. The pellets have been treated (I can't remember how) to kill anything that might make us ill. The pellets aren't gross -- they are nothing like poop at all. It is just bones and fur. They are totally dry. There isn't any smell. The child uses tweezers or small wooden probes to pick the the fur off the bones, and then tries to match up the bones with ones on a bone chart to figure out what the...
Quote: Originally posted by LailaCA So they can choose to wear it and go...or perhaps do a different (but fun) activity at home. I'm lost. What if you really HAVE to leave the house. For example -- the dog has to go to the vet and your DC refuses to put on a coat. OR you have a dentist appointment that you had to make 6 weeks in advance and you DC refused to put on coat. Then what???????? If it is really so bitter cold that they will realize...
My older DD had speech delays and our Dr. sent her for hearing tests when she was 2. At the time, I thought it was sort of silly because I felt she could hear just fine and was learning to talk at her own rate. During the hearing test it was obvious that she could hear very, very little. It was all that I could do to not just sit there are cry. She had chronic fluid in her ears (the ENT monitored her for a few months) and we had tubes put in. She had about six months of...
<> It hasn't worked out that way for us. I can't remember the last time I carried something for my kids because they didn't believe me that they would want it later. These kinds of things where issues for both of my kids when they were toddlers, but they quickly got past it. Generally, I set everything out...