or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

I would take the coat with me and then when the child realized it was cold, help them put it on. This is more work in the short run because it mean holding on to things, stopping in the middle, etc, but in the long run it is more effective because kids learn to self regulate. I remember a trip to the park when my youngest was 6 months old and my oldest was barely 2. It was time to leave and my older DD didn't want to put on shoes. I explained that the pavement was VERY...
I think it is odd that we live in a society where kids are pushed to start reading when they are 4, but where people get upset if they get lost in a book when they are 10.
I think there is a big difference between trying to manipulate a child ("they are all gone" types of lies) and just having fun ("let's leave cookies on a plate for Santa" kind of lies). The intent is totally different. I think my 6 year old knows there isn't a Santa, but enjoys pretending that there is. Another idea for dealing with other people -- I usually try to pull my kids aside from other people (by going into a different room, or moving out of ear shot at the...
<> Do whatever you need to to take care of yourself. Next fall is a long way off -- is there a way for you to get a bit of a break in the meantime? Sometimes I leave my kids with my DH and go out for a bit on Saturday or Sunday and just hang out at the bookstore and have a...
We opted out of preschool for many of the same reasons that we AP. The only people I know who don't send their kids to preschool either are APing or are planning on homeschooling (or both!). But I also know several wonderful AP families that send their kids to preschool. Different things are right for different families. The only thing that really matters is that you do what it best for your child and for yourself. I exercise before my kids get up, leave them with a...
I think that the primary role of American schools is to socialize kids. Although this sounds radical, I think that EVERYBODY knows it and likes it that way. It explains so much -- why people always ask me about my kids socialization but never about learning, and why the US lags behind most of the developed world in education. Most of the time that kids are in school they are expected to sit still and be quite (just like when we where kids) but still many people...
I went to preschool when I was little while my mom worked part time. I hated it. I can still remember feeling lost and alone. My parents thought that I really liked it. My mom thought it seemed like a lovely, friendly, playful place. Then one day, when I was 4, my mom got FIRED! She came and picked me up early and we went home. I was SOOOOO happy. I can still remember it really clearly. She stayed home with me for about 6 months, until I started kindergarten. I loved...
Quote: Originally posted by applejuice Saxon math is the best! I collect math textbooks to research the best way to teach math, and believe me, it is THE best. ABeka is a close second. Well.... I don't think that there is such a thing as "THE best." I just don't. Different things work better for different kids/families for different reasons. The extreme amount of review in Saxon drives some kids bonkers. It is far, far more than they need....
Homeschooling laws vary from state to state. I think that you are going to have to get info specific to Maryland. I did a quick search and found this web site, which appears to have lots of links and may be able to help you. http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschool...l/Maryland.htm
Quote: Originally posted by mamui Ok sorry if I'm throwing my own baggage in here but I can't not respond. I am wary of the suggestions that your stress and unhappiness is your fault, that there's something wrong with you and that you should be the one to "fix" yourself. Its your dh that is unhappy about how things are going and is stressing you out and is insisting that you do things his way. I still think it is HIM that needs help and talking...