or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

Wow! I didn't know that there were so many of us here who do Flylady!!! She changed my life What is the deal with DH's lately? Mine is usually great but he is driving me nuts this Christmas break. He is here ALL the time, getting under foot, saying stupid things..... I can't wait for him to go back to work! I really do love the guy, but.......... We were talking about a homeschooling friend who is thinking about putting her oldest DD (who is 8) in school....
I would talk to him more. May be instead of being worried about it being "fair," he is feeling a great deal of pressure to support you and the kid(s) long term. For many people in the work force there is tremendous stress right now. My DH's company has laid off nearly half its employees in the last year. My DH usually feels fine with things, but there are days when he feels panicy about what we would do if they laid him off. Also it is quite possible that there are...
Shari1973 -- I feel that you are way out of line. I know many kids who've gone to preschool when they are 3 and are just fine. There is NOTHING wrong with putting a 3 year old in a quality program. NOTHING. Putting a child in preschool is not the same as having some else raise them. If someone posted that they had decided to move to a different country and leave their kids here, you would right on the mark. That is a far cry from a little preschool. The comment about...
Different things work for different people. What you are doing isn't working for you, so it is time to make a change! I know 2 kids who've homeschooled and then attended school, and they both did great. Is your DD excited about going to school? About your MIL, tell her nicely that this is not her decision and don't talk to her about it. It has NOTHING to do with her. Your DH is missing the forest for the trees. Yes, kids being happy is important. Yes, good parents...
We used to live in Canada and winter was long and boring!!! Playdough is the best "babysitter" for my kids. They love to make a fresh batch and they will then play for over an HOUR!!! We have a storage box with all sorts of little playdough toys (rolling pins, cookie cutters, dishes, small animals, and straws cut into different sizes. A huge bowl of dried beans (or rice or whatever) and some measuring cups is also great fun. Another thing that helped my kids...
Ours is really, really simple. Instead of a table, it is just the top of a book shelf. (It is low enough for the kids to see and pick up everything on it.) Some of the items are always there -- like a bird's nest we found one day when we were out walking, a lovely conch shell, etc. Other rotate (cool rocks the kids find, leaves, et c.) We don't do the little fairies and all that -- all that stuff seems like a nice idea but we've never had time to get started and our...
well, in that case, I think you should consider cutting back on how much contact they have with your child. I'm not saying to dump your parents or quit speaking to them or anything like that, but these are 2 crazy people who are very damaging to be around. If they will not respect reasonable boundaries, I think that you have to put your DC first. I took the girls to see The Santa Claus 2 today and it made me think of you. In it, an evil copy of Santa tries to take...
My father in law passed away last night. He was very old and in very poor health. It wasn't a surprise and his passing means that he will not suffer anymore. My husband lost his mother when he was a teen, and he never knew his grandparents. His father was his only link with the past. My DH is from Ireland, and when we got the call last weekend that things where near the end, he flew back without the girls and I. He did get there in time to see his Dad one last...
I only missed one -- the religion one. There are so people in India that I figured that hinduism (sp?) had the most folks! Some ideas to help you (and your kids) with geography. Hang up maps on the wall. We have a world map and a US map. Get a globe. There are student globes for about $20. Find places when you read about set there, or hear it mentioned on the news, buy food from there, etc. I can be fun ot look at a new item of clothing or a new toy and see where...
Does the other mom ever tell her DD to cut the crap and treat your DD the way she would want to be treated? Has she had a heart to heart about how it feels to have some one refuses to hold you hand, etc.? May be the other little girl thinks it is a big joke and some one needs to make it clear to her than this is NOT an OK way to behave. I'm really annoyed with a friend of mine right now because her DS is a brat and she never tells him that his behavoir is out of line....