or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

I'm pagan and we celebrate Solstice as a religious holiday and Christmas as a cultural holiday. My kids totally love Santa and I love what he represents -- giving to someone who has no way to give back to you. I think that you should gently tell you parents to drop the "if you are bad you get coal" nonsense explaining that your DS is a great kid, but he isn't perfect. He knows he isn't perfect and is getting worried. Explain that it is taking the fun out of it for him....
Quote: Originally posted by applejuice But I recognize the fact that some medical and dental professionals would trip the social services button if they were so inclined. They also would have nothing to lose by doing something like that. Yes, this is why we are legal and keep old stuff the kids have done. Homeschooling is quite common where we live so it doesn't raise any eyebrows, but it would only take one idiot to have the department of...
I'm a kitchen witch I think there was a question on this thread about Samhain (Halloween). We display pictures of people we love who've died, eat foods they liked, and tell funny stories about them. My DH and I keep it very light and fun. We don't want it to become heavy or depressing. It is a wonderful time to tell funny stories about people that the kids never knew or barely remember. Our kids then trick or treat. My kids really got interested in the Day of the...
One bad thing about Berber is that it can get and snag and then run like a pair of hose. It isn't a great carpet if you have a large dog Another great thing about Miele is that it is easy to take up and down stairs. I make 2 trips -- one with the canister and one with the hose/power head. I know 2 women who've broken bones carrying vacs up or down stairs so be careful!!!!
We have weeks likes this! I find it helps to drop the ahead/behind mentality and just accept that where we are is where we are. It isn't race -- heck -- learning isn't even a straight path. Don't try to "catch up." You aren't behind. You are living life. We are relaxed homeschoolers, but we do use curriculum and I do plan ahead. Sometimes I have to remind myself that these things are just tools that I use to make it easier for me. They are not contracts that I have to...
I think that changes in diet could easily cause issues! Also, this is an overstimulating and often stressful time of year. May be everything else going on is contributing to her frustration level. Some kids are ready for academics young and spring ahead of their peers, but reach a point where they level off for awhile. Even though it sounds like you and your DH try to not put pressure on your DD, pressure can be very subtle. Some kids feel that everything is supposed...
They are old enough to help clean up their messes. Allowing them to experinence that not so nice natural consequence may really help them understand the point of "going potty."
We do a dollar for the tooth and 25 cents for little sister My DH was the one who wanted to keep my DDs first tooth!!!! I didn't want to start anything tricky like presents that I wasn't sure that I could manage for each tooth and for each child. I have to keep things VERY simple and we put the money on the dresser. once as I child my tooth fairy money got lost and fell down behind my bed and it was a huge issue.
I have a Meile Red Star and I love it. It is supposed to be the best vacuum for allergies/breathing issues. It is a canister vac, so it has more suction than an upright. It has a great filtration system. This is a very expensive vac, but it is should last 20 years, so in the long run, it is less expensive than buying cheap vacs over and over. It is pretty much the Mercedes of vacuums.
I think that many of the things you bring up are issues whether or not you send your kids to school! You and your DH are responsble for you kids' education. Whatever decisions you make (public school, private school, homeschool) it is still your responsiblity. If your kids go to school you have to make sure they are learning the things they need to, help them when they need it, oversee homework etc. The question of your time and hobbies is similar. The few moms I know...