or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

Quote: [B] Awww, come on Linda! Kids need to tell us what to do! And it's fun! May be it is fun for you. It is not fun for me. I'm not interested in raising little pint size dictators who think that want they want is MORE important than what other people want. I am working to raise my kids to know that what they want is AS important as what other people want. I don't know how many kids you have or if you have pets, but teaching my kids that...
Where I draw the line is the kids telling ME what to do. I will wear whatever shoes I want and it isn't any of their business. Likewise, they can wear whatever shoes they want. End of story (I freely admit to putting their sandals at the top of the closet during the winter). My kids are 3 and 5 and are good at working out comprimises with each other. For example, yesterday they both wanted to watch TV, but one wanted to watch PBS and the other wanted to watch an...
We are relaxed homeschoolers, so the articles are very similar to our thoughts on education. When a child attends an institution such as Sudbury the school has already created a wonderful learning environment, but when a child is at home the parents are responsible for creating an environment that is condusive to learning and exploring. Some of the articles have a "do nothing and they will turn out just fine attitude." A place such as Sudbury has already done a good deal...
Yes Did you get hit by the snow and ice mess last week? My DH was still in Canada. He was waiting for his visa outside the US embassy in Ottawa, without a hat. He said his hair was frozen solid by the time they let him in. (Of course, if he had any sense he would have had on a hat ) The girls and I were already on our way down. We drove and stopped to see Grandma for a few days! We decided that we had enough of unpacking and left the mess we now call home and went...
Rereading the enormity of my readling list made me nervous! I think the best, most relaxing book is "The Homeschooling Book of Answers" by Dobson. It contains the most common questions about homeschooling answered by a variety of people, including well known homeschooling writers, homeschooling moms, and even homeschooled kids themselves. It is a very reassuring book. It is one of the few homeschooling books that I bought -- most I just use the library copy. This book is...
I followed your link, but it was a long, long list of links. Of all those links, which would you consider to be good "starter" articles? I would love to learn more about the ideas you find helpful, but I'm don't have the time to plow through pages and pages of archieves to figure out if the general direction is one that makes sense to me.
Hi all! We just moved from Canada to Arizona, so I had my screen name changed. So, Linda is no longer in Canada but is now COLOR=blue]Linda in Arizona[/COLOR]
It's never to early to start educating yourself about homeschooling! I started reading about homeschooling when my first child was about 6 months old. There are so many options with homeschooling (so many it can be overwhelming) and I'm glad I started learning about the possibilities before I felt the crush of her being "school age." If you live in a good size town, your library is a great place to start. Some of my favorite "starter" books are the "Homeschooling...
I don't use Oak Medow, but two of my friends do. Between them, they used preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 7th and 8th grade (and talked about it on and on and on). Both of them used the kindergarten with kids who were 4, almost 5. (the kids had October birthdays and would not have been allowed to start K that year if they had been going to school). Both found that the K was too easy and therefore somewhat dull for their kids. Both of the moms loved the...
I think it is our job to show kids what is expected of them as they get older and introduce new things to them that we think they might like, but that we shouldn't push them. For example on the potty thing, I bought a potty around the time my first DD turned 2. I encouraged her to sit on it when I went potty by saying things like "mommy is going potty on the big potty now. Would you like to sit on your little potty?" She was dry most of the time within a few months. There...