or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

Quote: Originally posted by Jude's Mama Lots of great info!!!! Has anyone ever used more than one homeschooling method? Is that even possible? Mamasoleil- don't mind sharing!! Eclectic is the word for families that combine approaches/philosophies. I've read about waldorf, montessori, unschooling, classical, unit studies, the Moore formula and Charlotte Mason style homeschooling. All of them have helped me figure out what I think and have...
My kids are 4 and 6 and we started reading about and on homeschooling when the oldest was a baby. I don't think that there is a first day of homeschooling for families like us. From the time our kids are born we are interacting with them in ways that nurture their development. The ways we interact with them change as the years go on, but it is so gradual that their isn't a first day of "school." I think that some of the best books to read in the early years...
sorry -- it's not an article. It's a book.
Quote: Originally posted by Momtwice The decluttering is a difficult spiritual process but I am making process. One thing that has surprised me is that this is a spiritual journey. At first I thought it was just about getting the house clean! Have you read Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui? It talks a lot about how clutter affects us. As we have decluttered, my DH and I feel more light and free. All the clutter was draining the energy out of us.
What a cool thread! I've been flying for almost 2 years. Our house still falls apart sometimes but it comes back together fast. We've all had the flu this week -- ug. No zone cleaning here -- but at least things aren't in complete chaos! When I first started flylady it was April and my Halloween decorations where still up Really -- no matter how bad it is at your house it can't be worse than mine was when I started About weekends -- do your morning and evening...
Welcome to the board! This is a really nice homeschooling board because there are people who are homeschooling in many different ways. There are lots of us here with young children. My kids are 4 and 6. Nice to meet you!
We currently have a huge dog, 2 birds, and a guinea pig. We recently had a 30 gallon fish tank, but the fish all got sick and died and we decided to be fishless for a while. We usually have a cat, too. But last year we lost 2 kitties in row (long stories) so we are also going catless for a while. The way it works in our family is that my DH brings pets home without talking to me first. I'm always really mad and we have a huge fight. I take care of all the animals and...
It's not just about 6 year olds, but Kids Are Worth It! by Barbaro Coloroso is a great book that talks about many parenting issues as kids get older, though I don't remeber farts as the dinner table being mentioned It takes about finding a middle path, of not being a brick wall family or a jellyfish family, but becoming a family with a backbone -- where there structure but flexability. I found it very helpful.
We started out as unschoolers and gradually became more sturctured. My kids like me to have a plan! We use Five in a Row (which they love and never want a break from), Singapore math, Explode the Code and Reading Reflex. I'm sure that we will continue to change what we do and how we do it. There are so many ways for kids to learn at home. We aren't unschoolers but we aren't doing school at home, either. We just do what works for us and don't worry about what other...
Playful Learning is a super book. I think there is a list in the back of skills that kids are generally expected to have at certain ages. Another book we love is Sandbox Scientist: Real Science Activities for Little Kids by Michael Ross. It has directions for science kits that you put together and then the child plays with as they see fit -- exploring and discovering for themselves. My kids love everything we've done from this book.