or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

SoHappy, How did you dye the pasta? Thanks!
My kids are only 19 months apart, so they play pretty much the same way. DD#2 must be included. I can really see how this is a whole different issue with kids that are 4 years apart!!!! Could you arrange for DS#2 to have a friend over at the same time? Or do something really cool like make playdough with him -- may be making a big deal about how great it is to have time just with him would help him not feel bad about being left out.
My DH is very supportive of HS and loves to see what the girls are working on and talk to them about the things they are interested in. He doesn't directly help though. I feel lucky to be with someone who works to hard to support us and who really wants the best for the kids. I'm home full time, so it makes sense to me that I am the one to work more with the kids.
Ekblad6 started this thread by asking for ways to answer annoying questions from family members. This is a support form so I think that only answers that are supportive are appropriate. One of my pet peeves is when well meaning moms say things like "I just did blah blah blah and my child started reading ( or learned the alphabet or whatever) by age X." That is lovely for you, but you could have another child and do everything the same and your child just not catch on...
What is Math-It like? I've seen it in catalogues, but I don't know anyone who uses it. Tell me more!
OH MY!!!!! $400?????? YIKES! I saw one at Barnes and Noble for $25, but the stand was plastic. We are currently looking for a new globe because our stand (which is plastic) gotten broken. My kids really use the globe There is a map and flag store in my city that has one with a metal stand that is $35. I would recomend buying something cheap enough that you will feel OK about the kids carrying is around in circles. Our globe gotten broken when they were using...
I think that you've already started math -- by playing games, cooking, finding patterns, etc! We use Singapore also. http://singaporemath.com/ It really stresses understanding how numbers work rather just computing and memorizing. When my older DD was 5, she did Early Bird 2 and really enjoyed it. Early Bird 2 is a lot more fun that Primary 1, and it only costs $15, so I would let your child start there even if it is very easy and only takes a couple of month to...
this is really a huge topic -- I think someone could write a book on it! Here are a few ideas: I keep art supplies where my kids can get them (might not work with a 2 year old.) Our house has a loft area and we have lots of shelves in there. One shelve has things like paint, crayons, glue, etc. They have another shelve that is all different kinds of paper (different colors, different sizes, etc). They all sorts of office supplies, too -- hole punch, little brads (they...
Yes there are familes that do this. I think that for the most part only, the only families that would be "found out" would be families where there are custody issues, where Dept of Family Services is notified for other reasons, or other circumstances that do not affect most homeschoolers. I think that what would happen would depend on the location and the whole situation. There was a case several years ago where a mother was required to put her kid in school or...
That is so sweet! Even though my kids are only 19 months apart, I think that they are closer because we homeschool. I think that their lives would already have been chopped up by preschool!