or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

My kids are little so I don't have any experience with these issues. This web site looks very good, though. http://www.homeschoolteenscollege.net/
Kindergarten varies widely from place to place. In many places, kids are expected to know a great deal before they begin -- such as upper and lower case letters and all their sounds, ability to count to at least 20, to be able to write numbers to 10, etc. I even heard about one school that had a "special" K class for the kids who weren't able to read yet because most of the kids who started K there could already read! In some places K is pretty much play time, and the...
Some great books: Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk by Elkind. In one of the chapters he describes a good preschool. You Are Your Child's First Teacher by Baldwin Darcy. Gives all the info you need if you are interested in Waldorf There are several good books by Maria Montessori and even more by people about her and her wonderful theories. Your Child's Growing Mind by Healy. Not really about how to do preschool at home, but a great book about how kids learn...
Cut yourself some slack!!!!! Since your DD has already mastered everything she would learn this year in school, you could take the entire rest of the year off. So really, you don't have to do anything. Not one page. And there isn't any point in sending her to school because she woulnd't learn anything anyway. Just spend time with her everyday enjoying her. If you guys want to do worksheets and projects, then go for it. If you are pooped out and she is happy to play...
I hate to sound like a weenie, but I do think it is important for kids to learn how to function in a group. It is one of the reasons that I sign my kids up for classes like swiming and dance. I've seen homeschooled kids who were 8 or older who really didn't get that if you want to do something in a group, someone needs to led, people need to listen, etc. Sadly, the worse behaved kids in swim lessons last summer were homeschooled -- they just didn't get that they rules were...
I think that it was too much all at once. May be just pick out 1 activity and stick with it and drop everything else. Was there one thing that she liked better than the others? Sometimes we really think we want to do something and then, once we are in the middle of it, it isn't really what we were expecting. My 4 year old did this with gymnastics this fall. She begged for gymnastics, cried to be in a gymnastics, and once she was in she didn't really care for it. I had...
<<> she's way way off. Our country goes back to 1776, but our compulsory education laws are only about 100 years old. I think that Jefferson and the other founding fathers would vomit if they saw our public education system. The reality is the opposite of what the writer...
I agree with the others I'm not sure what is in Calvert PK, but if it is appropriate for a child that age, then it is very mellow and can be done by incorporating it into your daily life without sitting down to do school for more than a few minutes a day. Toddlers tend to take naps in the afternoon, for much, much longer than you should spend "schooling" a 4 year old! Spending one on one time with my kids is an on going issue, though. What works at one stage doesn't...
Tonight while the kids and I were eating without DH, I thought of you and how you do this every night! It is tedious to have dinner without my DH. It is just is. Dinner only lasted about 15-20 minutes because it just doesn't take the kids and I very long to eat and we didn't have much to talk about (we've been together ALL day!) But in that short time I asked my kids questions and really listened to their answers. Even though I am with my kids all the time, many...
When my kids are finished eating, they can take their plate to the kitchen and then they are free to do go what they want to (within reason). I think that where you are getting into problems with your DD is that either you are trying to make her stay at the table (which she doesn't want to do) or she is trying to make you play (which you don't want to do.) IMHO, there isn't anything wrong with her going off to play, but it isn't your job to amuze her. She can play by...