or Connect

Posts by Linda in Arizona

Things are so much better now that when I started this thread! I took last week from pretty much everything. My mom was here from out of town and we had a great visit. We talked about how things are going for me and she helped me come up with a few simple ideas to make things better. I'm feeling much more positive! Thanks for all the support
you have to do what works for your kids. My kids are 4 and 6 so we've laid ground rules in previous years so this year hasn't been a big deal. They can eat all the candy they want Halloween night. After that, the candy is available ONLY after dinner for a short snack in the evening. If my kids eat candy all day, even if it is only a peice or two at a time, they are badly behaved and don't eat regular food. If they eat normal food all day and have some candy in the evening,...
I'm pagan too! We don't have any pagan homeschooling friends either.
My primary responsibility is to my children, not to the rest of the world. I did a ton of volunteer work before I had kids (including tutoring literacy) and I will do more after my children are older. But for now, my duty lies with my children. I make no apoligizes for this. I find it very annoying when people think that I should do lots of volunteer work since I am a stay at home mom. I didn't quit my job to care for the rest of the world. I did it to be with my kids....
Has anybody noticed that the kids going to Kindergarten are older than they used to be? Back in the 60's when I started school, many kids started K at 4 1/2. They had to turn 5 by the end of Dec. Now (where we live) they have to be 5 by August. Even with that many parents whose kids have summer birthdays hold them back a year, so they have recently turned 6 when they start school. Many of the kids who are in Kindergarten now are the age they kids used to be in 1st grade...
When my older DD was 3 she had multiple delays and was a very odd child. She is now 6 and is totally caught up. Every kid is different, so I don't know how much of her story will help you Ali had a hearing problem, but we didn't realize it until she was 2. She had surgery at 2 1/2 and her hearing has been fine since then. She had speech and langugage delays. She also had gross motor and fine motor delays, and she has a sensory integration disorder. I read...
I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one Thank you for all your kind words! I'm feeling better today. I got enough sleep last night and I have a new vacuum. The weird thing about my randum urges to put my kids in school is that I know, deep in my heart, that it wouldn't solve a thing. It is just that on days when my whole life seems to be too much, it seems like the easiest thing to change. The last few weeks have been nutty around here. Last night I...
I'm tired. I'm tired of the never ending work of running my home and caring for me kids. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and the decisions we've made, but this is a heck of a lot of work. My DH is working 12 hour days now and all sorts of random things have gone wrong in the last month (today the vacuum cleaner died, yesterday my brakes died, and Ali outgrew all her clothes (including her shoes) in the last 2 weeks.) Everyday is just a new opportunity for something...
<> Part of my deal with my DD is that she can take lessons as long as she practices nearly everyday. If she doesn't want to do that at this time, that is fine. She is free to quit lessons. She can have the violin and just play with it when she feels like it, but if she isn't willing to practice on a regular basis then it is a waste of time and money for her to be in lessons. (If she were to quit for a while she could start again when...
<> I've read some sections of this book (such as the chapter on praise) several times. This book is so far from the way I was raised and from the mainstream I've found that I need to read it every once in a while to hold on to the ideas. Another really good book that talks about some of the same things, but is only about parenting, is "Kids are Worth It!" by Barbara Coloroso. She quotes...