or Connect

Posts by JamesMama

1st - 9.5 hrs from first contraction to baby (including 1.5 hrs of pushing) 2nd- 3 hrs from first contraction to baby If you go by when my waters broke then #1 was 11hrs and #2 was 7 hours. I had ROM for 4 hrs before I started having ctx with dd, about an hour with DS.
My mom has about that many on a rotating basis. She lives in the country and made the mistake of feeding a couple strays 10+ years ago and since then they've just appeared and disappeared at random. A mama will come, have her babies and stick around, some babies die (meaning get on the road or get eaten by an animal, not dying from my mom not taking care of them) some just run off (usually the toms) but right NOW I think she has 13. One of her toms she had for about a year...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marlet that.Jamesmama was your friend at your house or did you take your kiddo to hers? MIL has offered to either come along with us or stay at home with her. I'm honestly not sure which one would be better. Given the choice I'd say stay at home, but my friend was also my neighbor so DD just went to my friends house. Friend also had her 3 kids so DD was well entertained by the older ones (including a baby just a...
I had to do this with my kiddos. My DD was 6 months old? I think...she was pretty needy and needed to be held. Never took a bottle, wasn't really into solid foods... I made the choice to leave her over an hour away with my girlfriend and DH and I took DS to the surgery center. We didn't want to risk leaving the waiting room just incase. A wise mama on here said that the kid that needs me the most gets me. 5 hours (2 hour round trip) with my friend didn't kill DD, it...
little smokies and potatoes. Put 2 packages of beef little smokies, 5 or so potatoes (peeled, cut into 6ths), a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, throw it all in a pressure cooker let it jiggle until you can't smell the sauerkraut anymore
Yup, quite often actually. We very rarely drive anywhere with lots of traffic (rural area) so, yes if my DS or DD were choking I'd simply pull over and take care of it. 98% of our driving is done in town (2 lanes of traffic with driveways or parking lots every so many feet) or in the country (2 lane road with a shoulder). On the off chance that we're in the city it's very very very rare that I'm there alone with the kids so DH would pull over while I jumped into the back...
I thought the 'summer runs' was caused by spoiled food? They didn't have refrigeration and milk and cheese and stuff spoiled in the hot summer and caused babies to get sick. Hence the reason mothers were encouraged to nurse through 2 summers so that baby wasn't getting hot/spoiled milk. I think proper sanitation and access to medical care would have taken care of most of the VPDs. Of course as time goes on we're going to be up a well known creek without a paddle because...
I'd just bite my tongue and move on. DH will roll his eyes a bit when his sister or cousin post about how many shots their kids are getting per visit (One time my husbands 2nd cousin got FOUR shots, total of I think 7 illnesses? at ONE visit) because it always ends with "K got 3 shots today, he's running a fever and really grumpy. Poor baby." or something to that effect. DH just shakes his head, tells me (dunno why, I don't care) and I say "Oh, that sucks." (which I...
Quote: Originally Posted by r&mmommy My "rule" is that the person that needs me the most at any given time, gets me. Yup. That's how I worked out leaving my kids for a week while DH was in hospital. I didn't want to, DD was only 18 months old and VERY freshly weaned. DS was 4.5...but DH needed me most, so of course I was with him. The kids were well taken care of and came through without any trauma. It sucked worse for me than it did for them.
I asked my brother (13) about the locker room thing. They don't shower, they don't strip down past boxers/underwear so no one will see his stuff. In Iowa at least...no one ever showers. I've heard of kids spraying off after running the mile if they have gym early period but usually they use the single stalls (this is according to guys/girls I know in HS/middle school right now). I asked my jock cousin if HE ever had to strip down and he said no, they never showered after...