or Connect

Posts by ShannonCC

Well, it depends on why you are doing it. If you want your kids in classes just because everyone else is doing it then of course, that's silly. But some kids love classes. I'm a little uncomfortable with the posts that are implying that the other mom is pushing her kids. Sure, she might be. Many parents do. And on the other hand, maybe her young kids love all this stuff and enjoy it. I have a homeschooling friend who has to limit her kids. She finally had to tell them...
Quote: Originally Posted by WalkingByFaith Ouch.. Early reader here...kind of sad to think that he may be labeled "unusual" for simply being who he is. I didn't write the original quote, but I wanted to say there is nothing negative about "unusual". Reading early is unusual. It just means it's not what most kids do. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it or that the kid is "weird" (though, well . . . all my favorite people are )....
I think it does depend on the person. I learned all the grammatical terms in school (High School level). I didn't and still don't consider that knowledge to be something I needed. I was doing just fine without it and doing just fine now that I've forgotten most of it (I know what nouns and verbs are, - I think that's it ). If I need to write well, I can do it. And even in my everyday writing, I don’t think I’m too horrible with grammar. But you know, it's like...
There is a section of free videos you can watch even if you don't sign up for the trial. My daughter is watching the Brain Pop ones and there are 21 freebies.
I'm sorry about your Grandmother. Your son wants to see her so I would go with that. My Great Aunt just died Friday. My kids (10 and 6) visited her every month or so for the past few years so they saw the slowly progressing horror that is Alzheimer's. At the end, she didn't know you were there, didn't make eye contact or anything. She was still Aunt Ann though, so they brought pictures, talked to her, etc. Visits were kept very short not just for them but because Ann...
Ok, dur, ! I just re-read your first post UUMom and I totally got it wrong. I thought that instead of saying it was an S, he said "it makes a snake sound" trying to help the kid figure it out. That's what I hate! But telling the kid it's an S and THEN saying "it makes a snake sound" wouldn't bug me. My daughter would still probably tune it out too. And me too. Once I have the information I want, I tend to go back immediately to what I'm doing. My daughter and I are...
Yeah, my entire post had nothing to do with reading did it? :
Quote: Originally Posted by UUMom I know what you mean about people asking things that they akready know the answer to. Bugs the crap out of me. Ok, totally OT, but yeah, I so hate that. Especially because it's usually in some action adventure or mystery and time is of the essence and instead of just saying where the killer is or how to stop the aliens, it's "now think about it, where would you go if you wanted to poison an entire city?" and...
Quote: Originally Posted by UUMom "Oh, I don't like that. She just asked for the letter. Just tell her the letter". Maybe it's a personality thing but I agree with the mom. I'm not saying the Dad is some awful person or anti-Unschooling, but I, personally, hate when I ask someone something and instead of giving me the answer they "help" me figure it out. Honestly, it even bugs me on movies/tv when a character does the whole "think about it . ....