or Connect

Posts by mavery

Quote: Originally Posted by samuelsmom the behavior happens usually at times when we are asking him to stop doing something, even when we give what seems to be fair warning. Like playing a game on the computer--we tell him 10 more minutes and set a timer for him, but when we actually make him turn it off, the yelling/spitting, etc. starts. We have this happen around turning off the TV (which really means turning of DVDs in our case). Here are...
What are the situations when he's being aggressive? My first guess from the little bit you said is that it's when he feels a loss of control over what's going on? If that's the case, then maybe instead of focusing solely on getting him to stop the aggressive behaviour, you could very actively come up with ways for him to feel more in control of his life, and to regain some control when he feels he's lost it. That's something we have worked on with my ds (who's 4.5 so...
I don't know if I'd have done it in this instance, but I have on special occasions offered my ds that I would wake him up at a particular moment (midnight on New Year's, or when someone he's excited to see arrives, etc.) I agree I'd try and have the cake be a surprise the next day, but having missed the opportunity to do that, if it was seriously important to him I'd wake him up, ask the other grown ups to try to keep things mellow while he's up, let him have a piece of...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee In our house, we say that our daughter owns herself, and we own ourselves. So while her body is finished resting at 6 am (which it is) our bodies need more sleep than that. She gets to decide for herself when she gets up, but it isn't fair of her to force us to get up earlier than is comfortable for us, any more than it would be fair of us to force her to try to stay asleep longer than she wanted. I wish...
Ds is 4.5, spirited, intense, needs a lot of attention. We give him a LOT of attention when we are together (he's in preschool during the day). We have been engaged in a long struggle over what happens in the morning when he wakes up, and it just doesn't seem to working. Dh and I both work and after ds goes to bed at night we usually have either some work or chores to do, and may get to bed later than we'd like. Add to that the fact that ds is a restless sleeper,...
I have a spirited 4.5 yo ds. He demands huge amounts of attention, he's super-active, doesn't sleep well, has a fabulous imagination, gets very anxious, can be quite aggressive, can be extremely loving, is totally resistant to doing things because someone else would like him to, is extremely determined and talks All.The.Time... LOUDLY. I also have finally started reading the same book. One of the things that helps me keep working on a GD approach is that I can see that...
Quote: Originally Posted by joy2grow As far as using nursing for comfort I've been all for it till I started a book last week that offers some new perspectives. The book is "Tears and Tantrums" by Aletha J. Solter, PhD and was recommended by a mama on MDC. I've not finished reading and digesting the material but this is what I've learned so far: The author expresses the concern that a child may grow up to be a compulsive eater/smoker/nail...
I would *try* to take the charitable position that Sasha, in spite of her degrees, is in this situation just a slightly over-controlling new mom and she over-reacted to a situation because she was unsettled by "difference" (I would bet that Laura's disability played into her decision, consciously or unconsciously) and luckily no SIGNIFICANT harm was done. However, I would also make sure that all the cat puke and moldy peas were cleaned off the floor before she came...
I'm really sorry this happened to your ds, but I wanted to add or reiterate, I guess, what a powerful experience your response is going to be for your son in his life! It totally makes sense to me that he is asking the same thing over and over again. The disconnect between the way he gets treated at home and the way he was treated at school must have been hard for him to assimilate, but as a kid he probably naturally assumed that both are "right". And in one go he has...
I have acne-prone skin and I use glycerin in my home-made moisturizer because it DOESN'T clog pores. I mix up: glycerin, aloe vera, a touch of jojoba oil, strong (and well-boiled) green tea, and grapefruit EO. It works pretty well on my skin.