or Connect

Posts by Dar

My research involves talking with people. That's it. No invasive procedures. They speak English and are adults. It's pretty much the research project with the least amount of risk to human subjects possible. My IRB application is around 50 pages at the moment (and still growing), plus I had to go through their 4 hour research procedures course online. I'll probably have to revise it before our IRB board finally approves it, too. I tend to think it's kind of overkill for...
Google scholar doesn't find any...
Welcome to Mothering! I'm sorry for your loss. I'm not sure which forums you've found so far, but we have a Grief and Loss forum that might be helpful to you, and in the Spirituality Forum there's a thread for Crunchy Christian mamas where you might feel at home! And we have a Books forum as well...
A lot of parents who homeschool don't think that being focused on competing with each other is necessarily a positive thing for kids... especially young kids. I don't think I'd call the homeschooled kids we knew "mild" - just perhaps less competitive. They tended to be very physical, though. When Rain was 6 or 7 we were on a hike to see the elephant seals and it started raining and her friend's 4 year old brother got tired and grumpy about walking, so she picked him up...
From about 9 months to about 21 months was a really hard year for me as a parent - it was just constant going, going, going, one thing after another, and some days I just wanted to lay on the floor and cry. I'm also an introvert, and I needed that "piece of quiet" (as my kid called it when she was a little older), and my kid was intense and active and all that... I wish I had gotten a sitter and spent a couple hours once or twice a week just sitting in a coffee shop...
I think it's good to try to be sure your kids spend time with schooled kids outside of field trip time. For my kid, that sort of happened naturally as she got older and started wanting to do activities more often and/or at a more serious level... like, homeschool ballet class was a nice intro, but by the time she was taking 14 hours of dance a week she was necessarily in regular classes. Ditto with theatre. She also played soccer for years - the league clustered...
I've only heard of puberty suppression hormones being given to transgender kids, so that they can have a few more years before having to decide which gender they want to go through puberty as... My daughter is exactly my height (5'7.5").
I have trouble seeing 800 square feet as tiny... I think that's about average for the places we've lived. Our place now is bigger, if you include the semi-finished basement... others have been smaller. I wouldn't want a huge house. I think we've always had plenty of space. Rain and her friend will be sharing a 350 square foot apartment (and paying $700 each!) next year... that's small, for the U.S., but in other countries it's really not.
Yes... my kid was 11, almost 12, and I actually expected her to start earlier than she did because she's had early puberty signs at 7 (I was 12, almost 13 when I started though). So, we had all the stuff already, cute handmade pads from ebay - and then I didn't even know until almost a day later. We were living on a farm and one weekend a year we (and the owners of the farm) threw a huge party for any homeschoolers who wanted to come, and usually there were 50-100 people....
Vaxed according to schedule according to 18 months. Then I started reading stuff about the dangers of vaccinating, and at around the same time my father (a pathologist) told me about a case he testified in at around that time, involving an 18 month old who died as the result of a vaccine. There wasn't much question about the cause of death, really, and the family got money through VICP. Anyway, it was scary and at that point I felt like I didn't know enough to make a good...