or Connect

Posts by Dar

A lot of people seem to be taking this really personally... do you not think that there is a certain body of cultural knowledge that upper and upper-middle class people generally learn while people in other classes often don't? Really, each social class has its own sphere of cultural knowledge, but if you're interested in becoming upper-middle class then it helps to know that cultural currency. Some of it is as simple as knowing how to navigate going to college or grad...
I think you're talking about what Bourdieu termed "cultural capital". Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_capital Basically, it's about knowing and doing the things that give you status - in this case, status in upper-middle and upper class society. Most people probably don't even realize they're doing these things - standing up straight, having good table manners, dressing in a certain way, speaking in a certain way and at a...
Well, Panera was founded in St. Louis as theSt. Louis Bread Company (it's still called that here, actually, although most people say "Breadco" for short). St. Louis, while is does many things well, is not exactly know for its bagels. If Panera served, say, toasted raviolis, those would probably be pretty good... but bagels, not so much...
Three and a half inches, I believe... she was 11, too.
I read elsewhere that she actually did buy it, with money she presumably earned or was given. Is it still okay?I just can't get that worked up about the things she said. I guess I think that a dad who would respond to this in such an over-the-top way must be really insecure about his parenting - it was like he had to make this very public statement to defend himself against her charges, which makes me suspect that they hit home. Really, I don't think I've ever ordered my...
Eh. She posted a vent to her friends, in a forum she thought was private (and would have been, if she had remembered to log out before letting her dad install stuff - and really, it sounds like he was snooping). That's what 15 year olds do. It's normal. Yes, the cleaning lady line was gross, but developmentally normal. She was showing off to her friends. This guy seriously overreacted, IMO, and threw a tantrum like a two year old.
See, bean and cheese burritos was one of the 6 things Rain would eat when she was little, so she had them a lot... actually, I had a Taco Bell bean and cheese burrito for dinner last night. I ate a ton of those when I was pregnant, and I think she developed a taste for them in utero... she still likes them, but she now goes to college a 40 minute metro ride from the nearest Taco Bell... so sad.
Are you from Texas, by chance? I always think of that as a Tex-Mex thing... I lived most of my live in Arizona and California. My kid loves chips and salsa, too, and sometimes we'll do a whole taco salad, and add beans, cheese, lettuce, avocado, whatever we have... but not velveeta. Except on nachos, at baseball games, but the only because baseball game options are limited...
See, I think microwave popcorn is kind of icky... it tastes chemically and weird to me. Usually I make it in the hot air popper (and top with coconut oil or butter and nutritional yeast or parmesan or just salt) but it's best made stovetop and actually popped in coconut oil, I think ... but that takes longer. With the popper I just turn it on and come back in 2 minutes. I love sugar. Dark coffee with real cream (or at least half and half) and sugar. I only really like...
microwaves - Own one, use it to do things like melt butter, heat leftovers, etc. I don't wind up using it more than a couple times a week, but that's not from any sort of concern about it. I don't use plastic in it, though. fluoride - Yep, in toothpaste and in water. We lived on a farm and drank unfluoridated well water for 4 years, and I think that's why Rain had so many cavities. teflon - Nope. Avoid it. regular deodorant - Avoid this too... xrays - Minimal, when...