or Connect

Posts by Dar

Roar has been here a long time, both on MDC and in the unschooling threads (even before there was an unschooling board). We used to argue a lot, too, but I think we're really in agreement and probably always have been - we were just talking past each other. Or, to use I statements, I was more focused on winning an argument than understanding Roar's point. It really is all so individual, and so based on the relationship one has with one's individual child/ren. Piglet68...
I'm with Cyllya... since the dog is going to a good home I'm not sure why there would be an issue, and I don't see why you wouldn't include that from the beginning...
I like Gap's t-shirt bras - they make styles without underwire. Very comfy, and if I shop sales I can usually get them for under $10.
Yeah, I think 13-14 tend to be rough for boys and 11-12 tend to be rough for girls, so you're getting a double-whammy. I agree with Linda - it was about 18 months of hell and then things just got better and better. I love, love, love the late teens!
What is going to happen to your dog? There are apartments that allow dogs. An elderly dog who has seizures is going to be very hard to find an adoptive home for, honestly, and it will be hard for her to adjust to a new family at her age. It also seems that your kids are going to be going through a lot of changes and losses, and by keeping the dog you can keep them from having to lose her at the same time...
See, to me Sus and Suz would be pronounced completely differently - Sus would rhyme with us or bus (or like Soos if it's short for Susie, like Dr. Seuss) and Suz would rhyme with lose or booze. So I would spell it according to the way it was pronounced.My first and middle names both have two common spellings, and my last name is weird and no one ever gets it right - my dad used to keep a collection of misspellings, actually. Rain would seem easy, but a lot of people...
But the why matters, IMO. You find the lowest common denominator and convert and add because when you're adding you need to add pieces of the same size in order to know how many you have.
I'm 43, Rain is almost 19 (!). I swear I don't feel old - I think I look better than I did ten years ago. Rain is away at college so I'm dealing with the empty nest thing, although I've had a succession of (platonic) roommates while she's been gone... we seem to know a lot of temporarily lost souls who need a place to live, and I do better when I don't live alone - and the extra money helps, too. No menopause yet, although my periods seem heavier than they used to be......
As far as unschooling... I guess I think that if we're okay with kids being on their own schedule for sleeping and weaning and reading and all that, we should also be okay with kids being on their own schedule for leaving home and/or going off to college. I've seen unschooled teens do so at the typical age, like Rain, but also kids on this very board (as well as IRL) who did so a few years sooner or later than that, because that worked for them. I guess I just have a hard...
I think this is a pretty non-blasting board, especially for the last few years. I also think unschooling gets tagged as "learning naturally" sometimes, with the implication that learning will happen without any conscious effort on the part of the learner - and I don't agree with that paradigm. Rain has worked really hard to learn some things. Other things she has learned "naturally", through osmosis or whatever. Neither is more or less unschooling, in my opinion. If...