or Connect

Posts by Surfer Rosa

This.   And, I know this is the unschooling forum (I like to lurk here-hi!), and you don't want to read or be convinced of the mainstream benefits of school, but just like school isn't for everyone, neither is home/unschooling.    I was keen on home/unschooling my kids based on *my* feelings and experiences with school (I hated the structure and routine, I am also pretty introverted), but my DD loves and thrives on the routine that school provides her.  When I try to...
I haven't read the replies, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything!   I noticed that your kids are three years apart, and your son is three. I'm not sure why everyone talks about the terrible twos, because I found three to be SUCH a difficult age: they are so emotionally needy and figuring so many things out, and trying on so many different personalities and testing their limits (which IME, includes seeing if you respond the same way every time). Adding a newish...
  Yup. So funny: I posted in this thread about my DD when she was three (three years ago, and I still remember the PAIN), and my son is now three, and although he is a way more chilled out three than she was, he is still prone to the rages and obsessions. He is currently obsessed with knights and wears a tunic EVERY DAY.  I've found the best thing to do is just roll with it. If you can't dress goofy at three, when can you?!   My DD would wear only dresses/skirts until...
We did not vax either of our kids, and this decision was based on our lifestyle at the time (I was at home with the kids, we live in a smallish community). DD also had some health/allergy issues early on that made me question whether adding vaccines to the mix was in her best interest.   At our kids' last yearly checkups (they are very recently 6 and 3), we talked about it, and decided we're going to do the Quadracel (DTap) over the next year with both of them, then...
I don't have a lot of time to reply properly, but I wanted to chime in that I found age three MUCH harder than two. My DD was pretty easygoing and tantrums were limited to times when she was hungry/tired/understandably frustrated, but around age three, there was a huge shift, and at times, I found it totally unbearable.   We tried a lot of things, but I think a lot of it is developmental. At times she was SO grown up, which really made the freakouts tough, as they...
We put DD in a booster just after her fourth birthday (she was over 40# and was 45"). The thing that convinced us that a booster was a good decision for us/for her was that she was sitting reliably, and didn't goof around in her seat.
DS has gone through a few phases in the last year of napping/not napping (he'll be three in August). I remember being so frustrated with DD, trying and trying to get her to sleep, and swore I wouldn't put myself through it again. Napping at home hasn't been happening for a long time for DS. For a while, he was falling asleep in the car on the way home from morning outings, and he'd transfer to the couch/our bed. This worked for a while, but now we go for an hour long...
  This is what our ped. allergist has said about doing a food trial for DD. Next summer (she'll be six), he'll do a blood draw, test for the allergen, do a scratch test, and if it's within acceptable limits, do a food trial. She's only had one exposure to almonds. He said this would be enough. she's had yearly scratch tests, and the last one showed a much smaller reaction. She's also "grown out of" many of the food sensitivities she had (dairy, corn, egg, etc.) in the...
Poor little guy! DD was dxed with asthma and several allergies as a babe, and now at 5.5, doesn't have any problems (other than a tree nut allergy), and isn't on any medication. The only thing we've noticed is that every cold = bad cough for ages.   Not sure if any of the following are options, but they definitely helped DDs asthma/breathing:   -Get rid of all our carpeting (especially in bedrooms) and install hardwoods, or failing that, vacuum and dust daily....
DD was just over 4 and 40 pounds, but is very responsible in the car: she sits properly and doesn't shift around.