or Connect

Posts by KestrelDream

I started Kindergarten in 1980. Third grade was when spelling tests started, so I studied for those. Very rarely, was a work sheet sent home to do.  It wasn't until 5th grade I got math homework. My husband and I talked a lot about our expierences in Jr high and high school (we went to school together since elementary) and, he never had homework, or rarely did. I was always bombarded with it 7th grade through my senior year. I was an honor roll student all those years,...
And that's the problem....parents revolting because of no homework. Come on...homework in early elementary....?!! What is going on here?!! Did you have homework at that age? Did you get pressured that if you didn't pass the state test, all hell would break lose?   The poor teachers now are being judged if their students pass the state mandated tests....and they pass off their stress to parents and call it "parental involvement".  ENOUGH already!!! Kids spend more...
I didn't read through the whole thread yet, so I'm just going to answer the question...because, schools are so different now since I was a kid....and they have been stressing me out since my oldest started Kindergarten (11 years ago).   How much homework? Too much.   When homework was first sent home to my kindergartner a few years back, I almost fainted.   When homework packets were sent home with my first grader, I got really upset.   When reading logs...
Ugh. I'm still not getting any email notifications on updated threads since this whole over-haul....wish I would of seen your post sooner!!!
  Anything happening in the Tampa area?
I don't have rules for homework. I feel my kids spend more than enough time in school.  If a teacher complains about homework being done, I'm very quick to point out the research on the usefulness of homework, and that they have my kids most of the day, so I would hope they are learning/reinforcing academics there.   I can reinforce their learning and instill responsibility/study habits in my own way..thankyouverymuch. I don't need someone to tell me how to educate my kid...
Thank you! I saw learning gate before, I'll look into it again. I totally forgot that I even started this thread...I've been busy trying to communicate with my second grader's teacher (who never responded to my email) and figuring out how to handle the "note" I got from my Kindergartner's teacher about how homework is very important! Oh, and since my 6th grader didn't read enough at home, she got a "D" in reading. I got that call from her teacher while we were trying to...
I have four kids in the public school system. Although Florida has school choice with magnet and charter schools, they are all the same old public school philosophy that honestly makes me sick, and I am so tired of having my kids in these schools.      Homeschooling is not an option right now, other wise I would do it in a heartbeat.   I was really hoping to find a school choice alternative (free) that has a nice balance of relaxed, basic academics (the three...
http://www.greatschools.org/students/homework-help/1938-what-research-says-about-homework.gs?page=1   http://stophomework.com/   HTH!
Still looking too!