or Connect

Posts by Christine&men

Last year my crabapple jelly didn't set. I grumbled and finally re-cooked it. It's fine now. As long as the seal is tight it should be okay to eat.
I am looking for book recommendations to simplify/do more myself around the house (suburbia), basically self suffiency. However, I am not looking for a book that tells me how to keep chickens (our HOA would go ballistic, they don't even like vegetable gardens...), just things I can do myself around the house, food, laundry, soap, sewing, arts & crafts (and what to do with two kids home from school for the summer while I am eight months pregnant ). I guess I am...
I have dug up my diabetes testing supply (got it for kid numbeer two) and am going to voluntarily check myself for a week. And if the numbers are fine and the test not so good I have something to show them... I know, the crap is vile. Ever heard of Hansen Natural Soda! Just love it! Gotta have something sinful every once in a while
So, I have been reading up on it, this is my third pregnancy and last time they almost declared me diabetic... Yuck... What are the numbers you (or your doc/midwife/doula/etc) go by? From the Endocrine Web I got fasting under 105, 1 h under 190, 2 h under 165 an 3 hours under 145 From the NIH fasting under 95, 1h under 180, 2h under 155 and 3 hours under 140 If I remembr correctly they thought me diabetic because I had a 1 hour test in the...
My dd wanted this "Learn to Sew, Sew a Bear" kit from Hobby Lobby. It's two felt pieces with holes where the needle is supposed to go. The needle is plastic and blunt. I thought, okay, let's play with that, she won't finish it BUT she did it! With supervision of course, but she did it! Guess all my knitting and crocheting and sewing in front of them (ds and dd) made her curious. Who would have thought. Unfortunately my ds likes scissors...
I am so sorry to hear that. We got the Whirlpool washer and dryer when we bought the house (almost five years ago) and I don't have a problem with either. The thing with your undies is really weird, never happened to me. My bras I keep in a mesh bag (I really don't have time to wash by hand) and nothing bad ever happens to them. It just might be your washing machine... Can you write them a really long and explicit letter? (Explicit as in: what problems you have...
Pre-wash, definitely. Even for quilting items. If I feel it might be a problem for the fabric to be flat for cutting, I use starch! Starch makes it really nice and easy to cut and it comes out when washing before wearing it for the first time for real.
We have. The immigration lines are one thing but for me it's just establishing that they are also German, just in case for later if they want to live in Germany, go to a German University or so.
I can't read a chapter here and there. I read the bible cover to cover and since so much is better understood with a little help, I am taking the (free) courses at http://www.christiancourses.com/ . I am currently at 1 Samuel and now things make more sense and their little videos are quite instructive. And then of course there are little quizzes. That's nice too, since that will help me see if I really understood. Just reading the bible I might just "over-read" (not...
Sadly neglected by myself. Thanks for the bump! Didn't even get to make my own batch of dryer sheets yet, despite triumphant announcement to do so some time ago... What can I say, kids!