or Connect

Posts by BamBam'sMom

Yeah, he reads them to the teacher or a parent volunteer when he brings them back. Luckily, there is no set amount of times we're supposed to read them. 10 times would be horrible!   I think I'm going to make him read them every other night, and only make him read them once or twice. I know he won't read to the volunteer the way he reads to me. I just feel like there will so many boring things he'll have to do later in school. I can't set a precedent that he doesn't...
Thanks for the replies and the advice!   Yes, his teacher told me he's doing fine with reading. I wouldn't say he's ahead, but he's not behind. He went into K knowing a few letters, unable to write his name (he has always been resistant to learning at home). He got all Es (Exceeds) on reading skills.   All the kids have to read the Sam books. They go at their own pace. There are 50 of them. They bring one home, read it, and bring it back to exchange for a new one...
My son is in kindergarten, and he has to read these boring "Sam" books. They're so lame! "See Sam. See Mit. Sam is a mess," etc.... He hates them, and I hate making him read them. He gets bored, and he squirms and pretends he can't read them, or he reads really slowly. He's supposed to read them every night, and it's a battle.   I know repetition helps kids learn to read. I also know that part of life is doing things that you don't want to do. However, this isn't a...
Thanks for all the input. Yes, I was getting USing and RUSing comfused. I have heard both terms, and thought they meant the same thing. Thanks for the clarification. I think what we do is similar to what most of you do. We don't keep sugar in the house regularly. When I bake, I usually let my kids eat what they want. I guess they do self-regulate, because they don't usually eat too much of whatever I made. As or TV, I can see limiting it less when they are older....
I'm pretty new to learning about unschooling. Probably like many, some things about it sound awesome to me, yet I have questions and concerns as well. We're in a homeschooling group, and I think most of the others are unschoolers. I'm new, so I'm not sure. I have heard some of the other moms talking about teaching to self-regulate with candy and TV. I've heard of this before. Some of the moms have kind of implied that it's part of unschooling. I was listening to a...
My son's the same age as yours. We just went to a music store that gives lessons. He was interested in guitar lessons. They said guitar is hard for 4-year-olds (hands are too small) but they can learn piano or drums. Of course, my son lit up when they mentioned drums.
I use whey for fermenting veggies, using NT recipes. I think I'm going to branch out, though. I was reading through WF last night, and I really like the sound of his recipes. He makes fermenting sound much easier than SF. Honestly, my whey ferments haven't been turning out as great as I would like, and I'm looking forward to trying something new. Thanks for all the advice!
I made the farmer cheese from Wild Fermentation. I used pasturized milk, added vinegar to curdle it, and strained out the curds. Was the stuff I threw away whey? I usually get it from draining yogurt, but it's hard to get enough sometimes, and I'm not crazy about the leftover yogurt cheese. I hope I didn't waste a bunch of whey.
Good for you for quitting! I don't know of anything specific, but a friend of mine got something helpful from her NMD. Do you have one you can call? Are you using patches? They really help. In my state, you can get them free if you use a certain smoker helpline. Maybe try doing some research on what they have in your state. You might put on a few lbs. temporarily. It's okay. One thing at a time, right?
We go to the Gilbert Pediatrics office at Greenfield and Baseline, and see Melani, one of the NPs. My NMD recommended them, and says all of them are fine with not vaxing. So far, I have been happy with them. Melani has never even lectured me about vaxing. She hasn't said anything either way about extended nursing, but I wouldn't really care if she did. Peds say stuff like that, and just have to be ignored, IMO. She's good with my kids. Still, they're just normal peds....