or Connect

Posts by Drummer's Wife

I wouldn't say anything. Some people might spend $30, some $5, some in-between. Others may not bring a gift, though I know it's generally am unspoken expectation for a kid birthday party. There's always a chance people will decline the invite due to not being able to bring a gift, and that's too bad, but I still think mentioning gifts or lack of them is bad etiquette and unnecessary.
My DD had a purple streak in her hair when she was 10, and now at almost 12, she dyed the tips pink, herself. It will grow out; it can be dyed over. It's just not a big deal to me where I would say you have to be 16, or 18, or out of my house, or whatever. She's discovering herself , and she'll get bored of it soon, I'm guessing.
There is so much reading comprehension fail in this thread, I don't even know why you all are bothering to try to re-explain things. It's giving me a headache just reading it, and I'm not even bashing my head on anything.
I could have written this. For me, since the vast majority of people receiving help fall into the first group, I feel like the system is working, and pretty fair. The second group, well, I just keep hoping they'll change their way of thinking and break the cycle their families tend to have had for a couple generations (not always the case, but often). I can help connect them with resources, encourage them to make the most of life, help them advocate for the children -...
I'm planning on putting my mileage checks from work in a separate account and not touching them. I get between $400-500 a month (gov pays .55 cents per mile, which is a lot more than the cost of gas). I figure that's an easy way to increase savings, as our actual paychecks are direct deposited; whereas my mileage are physical checks.
My middle schooler eats lunch at school daily, and it's averaged about $100 a month. She tends to get extras or the special meals offered instead of the basic, cheaper hot lunch. I don't know what we'd spend on a sack lunch daily, as we don't really ever do that - except for field trips, and then I let the kids pick a Lunchable (I know, I know).
A fear of zombie apocolypse? That's all I can think of, otherwise, I don't understand it, either.
See, I don't have a problem with this. Pharmacists tend to have doctorate degrees, in pharmaceuticals, no? I mean, the 20 yr old medical assistant who gives shots at many peds offices has a 9 month certification. And public health offices usually have a nurse on site who does injections. There's still the element of parental consent (or patient consent, if we are talking an adult). I don't see the big deal.
I'm still butthurt I didn't win: . I had big plans to live the high life and donate money to my non-profit company that I work for. I can't even fathom that much money, though, but it sure was fun dreaming... Until those dreams were crushed. I seriously had post-lottery drawing blues the next day. Then I started reading all the poweball winners stories on their website and got happy again thinking about the lives it changed. Oh, well; as they say: you can't win if you...
My kids are all getting tablets (cheap tablets - like I found one for $59 on sale). Maybe new Broncos jerseys, too. DD (age 8) wants a purple violin. I'll probably get it. I bought her a hair straightener she wanted. Jewelry, too. Probably clothes from Aeropostale and Hollister (ugh, I hate going into that stinky store). DS1 (age 9) wants video games. Mostly whatever new Mario ones are out. I got him a couple board games, too. I might get him an indoor basketball...