or Connect

Posts by Melaniee

Hmm...the ones I have known mostly are or become teachers. ;)
 Hello - Welcome! We relocated to SV a few years ago as well, though just from SoCal, not Canada.  You may find schools with immersion, most often Spanish, but it's not universal - depends upon the school. Maybe a Charter school might offer more? There are two private German schools though, or at least two. This is the other I have heard of: http://www.gais.org/ (though I know nothing about the two of them other than their existence). We also have a Waldorf School (no...
I think that's a pretty typical commute for people.  I would do it (and have). What I would ask is are you sure the commute won't get worse, and/or that you would not consider relocating? We had a 25 min commute, then moved and thought our commute would be 25-30 but the economy rebounded and in one year it became 55 minutes! Luckily we were just renting so we moved again.    It would definitely be hard on the little one, though. Could he go to nursery school soon a...
Dr. Saul in Thousand Oaks, all the way.  He's amazing, we moved away and I wish he could have come with us.    He's mainstream, but thoughtful and respectful. He would have conversations with me about which vaccines I wanted to do, or not. Never once hassled me about "catching up," and loved that my son stopped having ear infections after we found a chiropractor. He even gave us some goji juice once during a seemingly never-ending bought of "new to preschool" illnesses....
OMG. How scary! I think you have already done everything you can.  The next steps would be to keep my food right under my nose all day long, stay away from the co-worker as much as possible, and probably not let on to them about the situation until the results come back and let the police handle it. 
A 6 year old, in Waldorf, will just barely be starting First Grade. The "cut off" dates are different than public schools. Kids need to be fully 6, most 6 1/2, before starting. Actually my daughter didn't start until age 7. So YES, some of us are saying they shouldn't be able to read yet. Now 'should,' is really open. If your child figures it out fine, but no one is sitting them down with a leap pad and some flash cards.    Having said that, she somehow managed to teach...
Figure out if you have a consignment sale nearby and stash it all away in boxes to sell at the sale. :)   I actually donated tons. When Ds was little there was a local crisis pregnancy center that had a "closet" for moms and they took toys, too. Later, I did the consignment thing.   For years the kids would open the gifts, and they would get set aside with other gifts, then at night I'd sneak them out into a box in the garage. They Never Noticed. Seriously, for...
Oh, and I forgot the Advent wreath.  Those usually play a big part, but having grown up Christian I can say the way they use or talk about them in school looks nothing like the way it was done at church.   I can tell you without a doubt my conservative Christian parents would declare it Pagan if they had to watch. ;)  (note - we are not Pagan, so I don't even know if it would truly look like that to someone who is)
In my experience, those who are not Christian, will think the festivals are overly-Christian. Those who are more conservatively-Christian, will think the blessings and some festivals are Pagan.  So along those lines, I figure they're doing okay with walking between. ;) Like a PPer said, third grade focuses a lot on the "Old Testament," which should offer many opportunities to share your faith with the class, if you so choose. Also all teachers that my children have had...
I have a 10 1/2 yo. I'd be happy to answer any questions but no, you can't interview him. ;)