or Connect

Posts by Melaniee

Due to the emergence of an avid reader in our family, we have just "discovered" the library as well. The kids were so baffled, "They let you use these for FREE?"   LOL.
I usually purchase from Weir Dolls and Crafts.
Boatbaby has an awesome and inspiring blog...   http://zachaboard.blogspot.com/   And great thread! I can't wait to read more...
Thinking back to this year, I am realizing that my children didn't receive any thank you notes (or emails via the parents) for gifts we brought to parties. I am wondering, at what age do you stop doing this with your children?   When mine were younger, I wrote them for them, but usually in my voice. I think around 6 or 7 I asked my eldest to sit with me and help compose them, so they were written in his voice. He hasn't had a big party since, so just gifts from...
...and people (eta: classmates' and friends' parents) ask you for gift ideas, what do you say?  My Dd will be turning 6 and I'm generally at a loss as to what to tell people, even "Waldorf" people.  I don't really like reading off of a list (except to family, LOL, they request and receive the list), anyway, plus my house is *full* and she goes to school where she gets to play with anything her heart desires that we happen to not already own, all week long. However, I...
I feel your frustrations, and I like the ideas PPers have had. I just wanted to say I understand. I get so excited and attached to things, myself, that it's hard when they break. In our case my first was very gentle with everything. I really never had to tell him to be, he just was. We modeled it. So toys and books were passed down to my second looking new or nearly new. And then they were beat up like they lived in a waiting room.  It does get better as they age, though.
In Part, thanks to mothering.com!!  I had thought homeschooling, but as my parenting years went on I realized that would not be for us.  I tried a few different local parent & me classes but they varied from 'not quite the right fit' to 'run away screaming quickly!'  I had read here and there regarding Waldorf, as it seems to weave in and out of the AP circles.  At one point there was a thread, in my local Tribe area I believe, that mentioned a somewhat nearby (Waldorf...
In my experience, some Christians will think it's too Pagan and some non-Christians will think it's too Christian.  And the Atheists? Well I don't know how they deal with any of it. If you're not studying the old testament or watching plays about the Birth of Jesus, you are thanking the Earth for your food. The flipside is there are "Spring" Eggs and a "Spring" Bunny discussed.   So I suppose my point is you just have to be open-minded and realize your child may be...
I always used roller shades for my children's bedrooms. Like PPers have said, I would pull them down just before it was time to get ready for bed - usually when the children were NOT in their rooms so they would just return to them already dark. We use gentle lighting at night as opposed to the bright overhead lights, so those would be on as well.   Last year we moved to a house that proved puzzling, however. My daughter's room got the evening sun, and we have no air...
And for lunches, we sometimes do leftovers (hot in a thermos in cooler weather), but more often Almond Butter and Jam (or fresh strawberries) sandwich.  Some other things we mix in are: Kiwi and cream cheese sandwiches Yogurt with Granola (or some kind of granola-like cereal) packaged separately for them to add to the top carrots or cucumbers and hummus apples and almond butter Vegetables and dip (or hummus) Sushi