or Connect

Posts by Melaniee

Here are two of our favorite soup recipes. These make a lot as they were for an entire class (I'd sub olive oil or whatever you use for the butter): Sunshine Soup   1 onion Approx. 6 large carrots Two stalks of celery 1 large turnip Butter 2 potatoes 1/2 cup soup base (vegetarian chicken broth powder from Whole Foods) Water 2 zucchinis 1 Bag Frozen corn   Cut up into small pieces onion, carrots, celery stalks & turnip.  Cook in a "bunch" of...
Lucky you! The HMB listings on craiglist always have me drooling, but it's just too much of a commute for us.   -melanie (new to the area with two kids, a dh and a dog)
Hi There! Seattle was my #1 relo choice...but we ended up in the Bay Area (#3 for those wondering).  It's not been as wet and chilly as I had hoped (I think I was imagining San Francisco weather), so I would imagine you may like it! Though we're not as far north as San Mateo. If you can embrace the 'car culture' you could live further south. It's quite different in the South Bay, but not too far. Everything seems relatively close (via car) around here.  Welcome!
Our baskets are also random ones with liners. I think my eldest's was from Target but found in their home section (years ago) instead of Easter section. His sister's isn't quite as nice but was likely Michael's or Jo-Ann's at Easter.  I also bought a basket for her to grow grass in at school, recently, at Michael's. I try to only buy with sales or coupons there as it seems there is nearly always something going on. It wasn't pricey, but we also do not use these...
I think about it, but our children's rooms were already painted soft blues and yellows. I wasn't going to repaint them. :)  Now we've got rental creme.  I did try to do what I felt was peaceful harmonious colors, at the time, though in later reading decided what is peaceful and harmonious to an adult may not be to a child. However the budget didn't include redoing their rooms.   If we end up somewhere we plan to stay longer, next time, I will likely do a mock lazure with...
Right now - 13 minutes in the morning...slightly less when I pick them up and take them home. We used to drive 20ish minutes and likely will have to return to that commute due to a move, but right now I'm really enjoying the drive.  With one child it's super easy, and if it's a day that they are getting along it's not so bad. Fighting? Ugh. Can't get home quickly enough. ;)
My children have never had trouble drawing with them.
They are awesome. We still have my son's from when he was 2.   I think I bought mine from eBay but any Waldorf site usually has them. Off of the top of my head:   threesisterstoys.com achildsdream.com novanatural.com   They are good for little hands to hold, and also to keep children from drawing in such a linear hard fashion so early.
To respond in reverse... I have no problem with putting things away before guests come and see nothing wrong with it.  I wouldn't put away ALL our toys, but if there are certain special or more delicate ones and having them about will hinder your child's or your enjoyment of the guests, by all means away they go, out of sight.  We can lead by example with our treatment of toys but I certainly don't think you can alter how another person's child behaves in your home...
They can't like what they don't have. I know this is tricky with gifts, especially as they get older. However when mine were younger things that I didn't want them to have disappeared very quickly after they received them. My son never noticed until he was 6 (then I had to stop doing that and start talking to him about things).   Having said that, if it's already truly beloved I would not take them away. Sometimes things get put away though, so other things can shine...