or Connect

Posts by chalupamom

I think that the coloring book thing has become one of those nice things to think about and somehow become something that is applied (or not) without really thinking about an individual child. Some kids will be fine art-wise and interpretation-wise if for some reason all they access is coloring books. Some will find their imagination stunted to some degree. Most will have no discernible alteration. Like most things, there's a spectrum of responses and the best...
Quote: Dd and I had a fun time playing Terak the prehistoric girl a ways back.... We read about Tarak just as our garden was getting into full swing so our nomad games involved us wandering around the garden "finding" tomatoes and squash. Love the Osiris story. We haven't had too much acting out of that one here, although I do have miniature sarcaphagi made out of just about everything they could be made out of (by a five year old, anyway).
My son loved Bob Books and Explode the Code and started just short of his fourth birthday. Now, at about halfway through Explode the Code 3 he's finding all kinds of early readers to be just challenging enough. I also read him and his sister all kinds of story books and, after she goes to bed at night, we read a few pages of a "chapter book" - Little House, an adaptation of a classic like Beowulf or Canterbury Tales, Swiss Family Robinson or somesuch. I totally...
Keepers at Home isn't really comprehensive in that one must also purchase many other books (cookbooks, crafting books, etc. - some are out of print) to follow the curriculum completely. I believe that the curriculum now is available new only on CD-Rom but you'd still need the other hardcopy books. If you're looking for a home ec course, you might look around ebay or half.com to purchase an actual home-ec textbook. I don't know as there are tons published these days...
We have autumn and I'll be ordering winter as soon as I can. We're doing classical-esque/TWTM stuff, but I find that Seasons of Joy is a lovely addition for my older (5) just plain fun for my younger (almost 2). We've had a great time with it.
Hi Metasequoia! Somehow I missed your response so forgive me for replying so late. My son is 5 and my daughter is nearly 2. I actually came back to the thread to PM tboroson for contact info for the group. Thanks for replying! The move is getting close and seeming more real every day. Now...better go get packing...
Quote: Originally Posted by tboroson I'm in the Phoenixville area! There are a lot of hs moms in the area. If you're intererested, we have an AP/NFL mailing list/group that is very active, and we are in the process of starting a preschool homeschool co-op! Phoenixville?! Really?! It's like a dream come true....we've just signed a lease for an old farmhouse in Malvern (very close to Chester Springs). Oh, I am so PMing you!
Forgive me if I've already asked this - I can't remember but am having a bit of deja vu! So we're moving to a town on the western Philadelphia suburbs...YAY! Anyone here from around that area and can suggest activities, outings, resource centers, groups or just some words of wisdom? We're totally excited about this move, but the thought of starting over with finding all the cool stuff, you know? TIA!
Quote: Originally Posted by davmon you know I saw this thing on 20/20 about the ebay founder just last night and he *seems* like a great CEO - donates alot of time and money to good causes ... I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't know what he's selling (like this Show Me! by Will McBride "scholastic material" :Puke ) well here are ebay's phone numbers to let them know! 1-800-322-9266 1-888-749-3229 and then press...
I've been working on this for a while now..."The New Classical Family", a secular classical zine. (Note that "secular" in this case is not used as the opposite of "religious" or "Christian", k?). I'm reaching a point where there's going to be a lot more work to do the final push and I"m wondering...is there a call for this sort of thing? Would you want to contribute? What would be valuable to you? Enquiring minds want to know!