or Connect

Posts by donutmolly

Ugh!  I'm also facing a move either very close to my EDD or with a newborn.  I'm very nervous about it especially because we're still in the "waiting to know" phase.   I've moved during pregnancy before, and switching care providers isn't ideal, but if you can find a good homebirth situation, I'd much rather move during pregnancy than with a baby!  FWIW, my mw told me that she sees lots of moves during pregnancy, it often seems to be a time of big changes for some...
Just wanted to reply because I have BTDT and it is really hard!    It sounds like you're doing a great job -- just keep going and give yourself a break whenever you can.  My DD1 was colicky and just never happy as an infant.  We did determine she had a milk allergy and I eliminated absolutely anything with casein in it (my Dr. also recommended eliminating soy protein since it is similar and babies are often sensitive to both - it is even more difficult to eliminate...
My DD's love to help cook!    The oven is not a possibility because their arms aren't long enough... I can barely reach in there safely!   DD1 has used the toaster since she was 4.    She loves to cut, so we started with mushrooms and bananas and strawberries and moved onto peeled apples.  I still don't let her use a sharp knife (because it makes me nervous!) but we use some sandwich spreaders that have one serrated edge.  Sharper than a butter knife, but...
I think so much of it has to do with interest!  DD1 was 4ish when she started drawing recognizable pictures (and she is prolific and rather talented artistically) and she went through a weird phase after that where she would only scribble again.  DD2 at just 3 has been drawing people for several months and attempting to write letters... which I feel is VERY early.  But, she sees her older sister doing it and wants to do it too, and we're homeschooling DD1 so there are a...
I was also shocked to see how much our boy's name had moved up on the lists this year!  I'm surprised that we're so "trendy" -- as all of our girls' names have never reached the top 100.  But we love the name, and so we're not planning to change it.  It would make me re-think it if I had met young kids/babies with that name recently.   On the other hand, for example, a friend moved here to my small western town a year ago with her 2yo girl "River" -- where she lived...
Let me start by saying that researching carseats makes my head hurt!  And I need to get 2!  So any help you can give would be great!   I will have 4 kiddos in April -- and I need to get new seats for the two oldest ones.  DD1 is 5, just over 40lbs, and tall but mostly leg.  She is currently in a booster to fit 3-across in our tiny VW Golf, but I'd prefer to get her back into a harness if possible.  But she is very responsible in a booster, so not entirely...
Definitely a HB!  I've had 3 Hb's with no doula present.  I think that doulas are awesome and amazing, but I had no need for one with my MW and her assistant present and caring for me.  They suggested position changes as necessary, provided comfort measures, helped Dh support me --  I didn't need anyone to help me advocate for myself because I was in my space with birth attendants who were fully on board with my birth plan/philosophy.
I'm with you in feeling like I need to clear things out and get organized before I tackle baby stuff.  We have some major stuff to get to accommodate another kiddo (a larger vehicle, and 2 new carseats!) I need to take a look at my diaper stash and repair/replace some dipes.  I need a dresser for the new LO's clothes....  It all seems very overwhelming just now!   It will probably start to get done once all the Christmas stuff gets put away.
I'm so thankful my mom has never asked to be at my birth -- I do know that she'd really like to be there, but since she's not directly asked, I haven't had to say no, which makes it so much easier.   It sounds like you'd really rather not have her be there.  I wouldn't risk stalling my labor to make my mom happy.  Likely, you will be able to play the "too fast to call you" card, but it would probably be more honest to say that you just want it to be you and Dh, but...
My DD2's bday is Dec 19th (she also just turned 3!) and mine is also near Christmas, so I'm very aware of making the day special.  Growing up, December was so exciting for me, which was good in many ways.  We tried to do half-birthday parties, but it just didn't have the same excitement as my real bday.  I loved having a cake with a Christmas tree on it, and playing "pin the nose on the snowman" -- so I'm not shying away from mixing the two for my DD.   For DD2, we...