or Connect

Posts by donutmolly

I'm one who will avoid using a name based on its popularity -- maybe it's because I narrowly avoided being a Jennifer in the early 80's and was always on soccer teams with 4 Jen/Jenny etcs....  Dh and I both have names that are unusual for our birth year but not "trendy" or "weird", and we've both enjoyed our names so that is why I think we're drawn to less popular names.  On the other hand, my cousins, who have very common names for their birth years, have named all...
To the OP, my Dh is totally like you -- hates surprises and anticipation -- but he loves not knowing who our baby will be until he/she is right there in our arms.  We have never known the sex of our kiddo (I'm expecting our 4th) and it has been the most wonderful thing imaginable.  With our 1st, Dh asked the MW a moment after the baby came out, "is it a boy or a girl?" and she honestly could say, "I don't know, why don't you look?!"  I loved that moment with the birth...
DD2 was 19 mo when DD3 was born, and honestly, I didn't do anything special to prepare her for the birth.  I was working on preparing DD1 who was 4yo, so we did read some new baby books and watch birth videos together, but I'm pretty sure nothing really got through.    It didn't end up mattering anyway, both DD1 and 2 slept through the entire birth, which was a huge blessing since their support person didn't make it until after the birth either... I'd just make sure...
Do you have any other tub options?  The mw's tub sounds pretty heavy duty, so maybe what you need is a simpler "fishy pool" type option...   Just my opinion on the "land birth" idea -- all my 3 kiddos have been born on land, even though I used our shower/bathtub at different points in my labor, I definitely wanted my feet on firm ground as I gave birth.  The whole bustle of setting up/managing a pool felt very distracting to me as an idea, which is why I've always...
Ugh, I'm so sorry you're going through this! You've gotten some great suggestions of how to cope, so I won't repeat them. You're doing a great thing by having your first baby at home! We had our first at home too -- in our tiny one-bedroom apartment. And she slept in our bed, and we cloth diapered... and yeah, it's exhausting swimming against the tide... but it gets easier with practice! Just think how well prepared you'll be for the negative comments about how you...
All mine have been HB's... with the first, I tore and had a couple of stitches... but I was walking around/sitting no prob by 24 hours after the birth. With #2 and 3, I had no tears, no problems with pee/poo, was fine sitting, walking, etc. I felt great physically, and Dh and I were intimate within a week... I had stopped bleeding by then. But I'd echo the sentiments to keep things easy after the birth -- I had no idea how emotionally up and down I'd be, how crazy...
Just wanted to chime in that you want to bring a change of clothes for everyone, including you! We had a very traumatized DD1 throw up multiple times on our trip home from China when she was just 2 -- no previous indications that she was sick, or had motion sickness. Having to wear my puke covered clothes for 15 hours did not help to make the flight pleasant...
Donate them if you want, but I wouldn't worry about having a stash of disposables on hand to use when you go out, forgot to wash the CD's soon enough, grandma swears she can't change cloth... Believe me, I'm a full time CDing mama through 3 soon-to-be-4 babies, but I have used the occasional disposable -- they are useful, for example, if you go away for the weekend and don't want to haul a lot of dirty dipes around with you, or if you have washing issues (we recently...
I'd just agree with the idea that both parents have veto power -- Dh has vetoed A LOT of names I just adore. If it's not a name you both can live with, then it's a no! There are so many names out there -- even if the name you choose is neither you nor Dh's favorite, it should at least be ok to both of you. I don't personally care for the name, but then, I'm sure some people don't care for the names of my kiddos... the important thing is that Dh and I like them.
It sounds like a great schedule -- the only thing I might add (personally, especially since you shared about your depression) is some outside activities -- playdates, free play at a rec center, a mom group (such as MOPS, or whatever), we have a great cooperative "playschool" that involves the parents -- just because I know how helpful it can be for my mood to be around other adults, and develop a community with other parents -- and for my kids to play with other kids...