or Connect

Posts by Queen Gwen

Yes, people have younger kids do RightStart, particularly RightStart A. Much of RightStart A and B comes out of Montessori teaching methods for math, and Montessori has plenty of math materials for ages 3-6. One difference is that with RightStart the teacher (or curriculum) is setting the pace rather than being as child-led as is Montessori. It could be that the recommendation to wait until age 5.5 comes from that -- that it's the teacher (or curriculum) deciding...
How do you pick which level to start at? Is there some sort of recommendation page somewhere? I'm having a terrible time navigating the MCT website, so I'm not seeing this information. As I was reading the pdf on how to use the Elementary Level I was thinking that younger dd would be the right age for Town -- she's in FLL4 (which she dearly loves and has no desire to stop using). But then I had the impression that the work on writing sentences is back on the first...
Quote: Originally Posted by somanythings ITA I left a church for almost 6 months with NO notice/call/letter anything, then returned and had several people say, "I really missed you/wondered where you were/etc." and I was like you could have called or something. Maybe people meant to send a note or call, then read a thread like this and saw all of the negative comments And, really, the awkwardness about discussing these things face-to-face...
We see Erin Piontek in O'Fallon. She's okay with our vax schedule (which consists of me saying, "okay, I'll think about that"). No clue how she is with intact penises, as we have girls.
We send out handmade cards. It used to be the kids would blob glitter glue on die-cut construction paper Christmas trees or gingerbread men (the public library had a die-cut machine we could use for free -- all we had to supply was the paper), but as the kids have gotten older the cards have gotten more elaborate. This year we only made about 30 before we ran out of supplies -- those 30 will go to the A list, along with a photo (some years the photo is integrated into...
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A Do you know what gas smells like? Because it doesn't smell like eggs/sulfur to me. To me it has a sickly sweet smell--like a breastfed baby's diaper. The sulfur smell is added to the natural gas as a marker so we can notice a leak. Otherwise there isn't much smell to it at all. So perhaps you sense it differently, but it really is a smell deliberately chosen to be different and noticeable. OTOH, carbon...
Are you looking for curriculum suggestions? Some popular choices for that age are: Minimus Latin for Children Latina Christiana There's other popular ones, too, that I can't recall at the moment. I've used all 3 of these, though, so they spring to mind first. Latina Christiana is very straightforward, very bare bones. Memorize a prayer, memorize a maxim, memorize this list of words. The teacher needs to bring the fun into it, I guess. This was beyond...
Quote: Originally Posted by jplain Eh, don't get too bent out of shape about it. Consider the author's perspective and intended audience. Take what you like and leave the rest. I've read unschooling stuff that very harshly criticizes more structured forms of homeschooling. But I don't let it bother me. I incorporate the ideas that make sense to me, and forget about the rest. Definitely. And I've read Waldorf stuff that criticizes...
My dd used grade 7 last fall. After a while she decided the assignments were dippy and pointless, and that she didn't want to do them any more. It might've worked better if I'd been more engaged in the process and heavily tweaking ... then again, maybe not. I wanted something that she could sort of do on her own. She liked the selections. I'd ordered it after reading various reviews of it on The Well Trained Mind forums. One criticism I had read on that forum...
D'Aulaires is a treasured book here. BUT once you've been introduced to the myths you should really give Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series a try. No one in our family will ever confuse Chiron and Charon after reading Lightning Thief, for example.