or Connect

Posts by Queen Gwen

Quote: Originally Posted by Skim In general, no one should ever use an herb that makes them worry. . I think that's extremely well-put, and a wonderful rule of thumb. I've read about comfrey not being recommended for internal use -- a recommendation I ignored, since I didn't agree. This is the first time I've seen the recommendation it not be used for external use, although it makes sense that someone finally figured out that it could be...
Quote: Originally Posted by brinalicious I'm new to the classical education method of homeschooling, so forgive me if I am missing something that makes my comment nonsensical. I have not yet read The Well Trained Mind, but I have read her other book, "The Well Educated Mind," and it seems to me what makes TWTM "classical" has mostly to do with the trivium theory of education emphasizing grammar, logic, and rhetoric. I'm curious to know what would make...
Quote: Originally Posted by sha_lyn At a troop level though I do find that it is pretty easy to find ways to for the girls to earn atry-it, badge, IP or enrichment patch together. It does get harder if the difference is more than one level, but it can still be done. Last yr all the girls earned an award on candy making. The daisies received an enrichment patch, but the brownies, Juniors and Cadettes all received awards for their level. The...
First of all, realize that you can possibly open a can of worms by calling TWTM "classical". I think Susan Wise Bauer has taken to calling it neo-classical. So, some people will give you answers about how well TWTM works, or how well neo-classical works, while others will give you answers about some other sort of classical. I think what you're asking is whether TWTM/neo-classical method is better than others, right? Sorry to split hairs, but it's nice if we...
Quote: Originally Posted by sha_lyn I guess I have a different idea about what sassing. to me giving girls ideas how to get univolved parents involved in their livs is not sassing. The fact is that most kids are in PS and unfortunately a lot of girl and boys are put in scouting and other programs so that mom and dad don't have to spend time with them. We always have other leaders asking us how we have such high parent invovlement with our troop, and as...
Quote: Originally Posted by sha_lyn What gives you the idea that your daughter will be taught to sass you in girl scouts? Yeah, a post on the 1st page referred to coaching a girl (Brownie? Daisy? I forget which) on how to get her parents to do something they'd already said "no" to. And, really, I can see where one might read a lot of this material and think that GSUSA assumes we all have a giant disconnect between parents and children, and...
We do things day by day. So much stuff comes up in our life I couldn't imagine scheduling far in advance. We just sort of work until we're done. This year we finished 9yo dd's grammar book way, way early due to lack of scheduling -- we obviously moved through it too quickly and did lessons too often. Who knew? I guess I would've seen it coming if I'd done a yearly schedule, but we really liked the pace we were working at. Anyway, we kicked around ideas for what to...
Late to the discussion. I skimmed the other responses, and saw much I agree with. When I called our local Council office (GSEM) they had no clue, not an inkling, of any homeschool troops. Later I found a really huge one through a yahoo homeschool message loop. So, problem number one: the folks at the office don't really know what troops exist. The set of troops we're in now have separate troops for each level -- Daisies, Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes. Within each...
We're homeschooling in the Midwest. When we tell people we homeschool they assume that we're Evangelical Christians (although now that we've moved to a more Catholic area they might assume that we can't afford private Catholic school). And if they know anything at all about homeschooling they assume that we use Abeka or some such. For that matter, other homeschoolers assume we use Abeka, Rod & Staff, or Bob Jones or maybe Sonlight or Tapestry of Grace (well, except a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Deborah Probably not the lifestyle. All the children in the study were living in the country and eating biodynamic food. Some were vaccinated and some weren't. Some had had measles and some had not. Thanks. The conclusion makes more sense now. Love your sig, by the way. I'm in the same camp, as is everyone in my family.