or Connect

Posts by Queen Gwen

Hmm, is it that the measles infection means less allergies? or is it that children who are likely to have a lifestyle that includes not being vaccinated for measles/eventually getting measles also have lifestyle factors that make them less likely to have allergies (in this case, biodynamic foods, allowed to have fevers, fewer antibiotics)?
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinoikoi Girl scouts changing? As my 13yo points out, Girl Scouts is trying to be hip, and as soon as anyone tries to be hip they automatically fail. I have a friend who's 48, and decided to bleach out her hair and have it cut like Pink. She thought it made her look hipper. Mostly it made her look old and sort of silly. Sigh. I've had the impression that GSUSA is trying the same...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama24-7 According to these ingredients list that I got to from this page http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs...s/faqs.asp#top the cookies still have partially hydrogenated oils http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/cookies_nutrition.asp http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.littlebr...ritionInfo.pdf I don't know if there are boxes out there that say the ingredients are different, which I hope they are. If not, then the cookies have trans...
Quote: Originally Posted by happydoulamama What makes something "neoclassical"? Is it just because it deviates from the old standard? Just curious, as I have never heard the difference. Can you also give me an example of what is in the Latin Centered that is different from what WTM suggests? Thanks! Info on Latin Centered vs. Trivium-inspired neoclassical is #5 on this page. Also here. Andrew Campbell's general take on Classical Ed is here.
Old threads never die around here. Expect it to pop up again in 3 to 5 years.
Quote: Originally Posted by 2xy I guess we're all just so different. Writing has always been one of my best "subjects," and I rarely think about grammatical structure when I write. So true. We're all different. That's why our kids may need to learn things a different way than we did. Although I learned to speak and write well, because I was surrounded by good examples, I never really "got" grammar. I often felt at a disadvantage in...
Latin using Minimus. Math is multiplication and simple geometry, using RightStart D and also the Sir Cumference books. English -- diagramming sentences, poetry memorization with First Language Lesson 3. Writing -- narrating, copywork and dictation out of science books (her choice) Science was the human body, but she got electricity kits for Christmas and has a new passion for wiring things to batteries and making circuits. Lots of read alouds -- just finished Heidi,...
Quote: Originally Posted by theretohere I don't think I've heard of Latin for Children before- who publishes it? Good to see another LCC junky. Classical Academic Press
We're definitely multum non multa (which, for the first time ever, I typed correctly -- I never could remember if it's "multum non multa" or "multa non multum", but I've been slogging through Henle myself and bits of the language are actually starting to stick in my brain -- yay me). The big things at our house are Latin, math and music. Older dd is using Latin for Children Level B, Life of Fred Algebra 1, Analytical Grammar, and we need to get back to Classical...
Diary of a Sewing Fanatic is a woman who works in the corporate world, likes high fashion, and makes her clothing herself because it's the only way she can get the quality she wants in her size. That's the only one I'm coming up with off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more....