or Connect

Posts by Queen Gwen

Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama Each to her own, I guess. I honestly don't understand how anyone can like the shows. They are so preachy and schmaltzy! The exact opposite of the books. My kids can't stand the show. OTOH, we first read the series when older dd was about 7 or 8 and younger was 3 or 4. (And I can totally understand Lillian J's point about different books appealing to different ages, having done that.) Then we got the...
I know one of the Montessori teachers through dds dance classes, but I haven't seen her in a while -- we've been going to class on different days. So, subscribing to the thread in order to find it again later after I get a chance to talk to her.
Quote: Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees After Lively Latin, we'll probably be moving into Latin Prep from Galore Park, supplemented either with Cambridge Latin, Lingua Latina, or both. I want to progress slowly to keep lessons short, so am opting for wider vocabulary exposure over moving on to more complex grammar. DD loves Latin, so taking a break isn't an option. I've heard a lot of positive reviews for Lively Latin. If we weren't already...
We started with Prima Latina when older dd was ... I forget, maybe 7. It was very simple and straightforward -- a list of words to memorize, a little info about the Latin, some fill-in-the-blank. Sometimes there was a prayer to memorize. We thought it was fine. Then we moved on to Latina Christiana 1. Again, a list of words, some brief explanation, some fill in the blank, some prayers, and maybe a couple of songs to learn. Flashcards to memorize. Dd grumbled that...
I just typed "why latin" as a google search and came up with this page from About.com. I imagine there are other pages and websites out there, too. My older dd is using Latin for Children, my younger is using Minimus. We've also used Prima Latina, which we thought was dull. Very dull. Although not as dull as Latina Christiana. But, hey, other people think the Memoria Press products are great, so good for them. I'm using Henle for myself. We've bought...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tracy http://margaretwendt.com/articles.php?id=212#thearticle I always enjoy reading these, but gees-louise I wish that website allowed me to print out so I could carry it around the house and ponder rather than being tied to the computer.
Quote: Originally Posted by theretohere I thought WTM was ok, but it a neoclassical education and I wanted an actual (As close as possible) classical homeschool. We're loving the Latin-Centered Curriculum. It's got curriculum reccomendations up to 12th grade, as well as sample schedules. I can't say enough good about it. Hey, that's what I was going to say -- Latin-Centered Curriculum!
Quote: Originally Posted by ebethmom To be honest, I find that planning for the RightStart takes too much time and energy. Oh, how funny! I like RightStart because is takes absolutely no planning on my part. I do it totally seat-of-the-pants. When we did a program like Singapore I had to actually think about what I was going to do. I'd also take time to think about presentations for a workbook-type program. But RightStart? Just open...
Quote: Originally Posted by greenmama It's true you don't need to be a member to buy the book, and if you can't pay people take you at your word, but as the membership fee is minimal and pays for alot of staff positions that make GS possible as well as alot of proisperty for GS purposes I don't think it is very ethical to say you can't pay if you can. If someone has a philosophical objection to GS you probably shouldn't join. Actually, I agree...
Younger dd was about 5 when we tried Level A. We did it for a couple of weeks, and then she lost all interest. So I waited a year, then started in B. She flew through that, and is almost finished with C. I don't supplement with another program, although I'll occasionally use concepts from Waldorf or other math games that I just happen to think of. Older dd started with Transitions, having tried Miquon (hated it) and Singapore (bored with it). She then went into...