or Connect

Posts by fire_in_july

Quote: Originally Posted by Altair Yes, we can control our children's gender expression when they are too little to do anything about it. but is that the right thing to do? how much harder would it be for that child if/when s/he decided that wasn't the right gender expression? So are you saying it's WRONG to put your baby girl in pretty dresses and shoes and such? Because she might grow up to be a butch tomboy and then it would be hard...
I know I am weird in this age of low-rise everything, but I *NEED* my humungous granny panties when pregnant. I can't STAND for stuff to ride under the "baby bump." Makes me feel like a man with his belt tightened under his beer gut (that always looked so uncomfortable to me too!) I wear the big ol' granny panties that go OVER the "baby bump."
Quote: Originally Posted by Lisa_and_Sarah I'm not sure about matrilinial names, though. They have some of the same problems as patrilinial (that is, wiping away 50% of your heritage). I don't know what the solution is. Our solution was that our sons would get their father's last name, and our daughters would get mine. Then *if* (and I realize this is an if) our children continue the same custom and they have both sons and daughters, all...
Quote: Originally Posted by boatbaby I too think it is very weird. My name is MY NAME. I hate that I am quesitoned about why I kept my name but my husband is not questioned about why he kept his?! And we agreed that DS would have my last name which causes RIOTS everywhere we go. DH's last name is DS's one and only middle name. No hyphen or anything. People act like I eat my young when I tell them DS has my last name : Whatever the last name...
Quote: Originally Posted by wende But what if she's a tom boy? What if she hates dresses and finger nail polish and would rather wear dirty jeans and play in the mud while chasing frogs and eating bugs? You know, I had ALWAYS dreamed of girls for many of the same reasons as OP. Beautiful dresses, little black velvet Mary Jane shoes, etc. (as well as sharing other, more intrinsically female things with her as she grows, like becoming a woman,...
Yep. Our law in our state says 1 and 20 pounds, but they are far and away safer rear-facing as long as possible (as long as they meet the rear-facing weight & height limits of the seat). We did not turn DD around until she was 2 years, 1 month old. At that time, she was 27 pounds, and the carseat limit was 30. She was also almost at the rear-facing height limit. I did not want to risk her growth spurting over the weight or height limit, and I felt that we had done...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamajama OMG can you please take out the example of a man who died while fighting for the lives of many who will follow in his footsteps. A beautiful person who, in fact, profoundly epitomizes the exact opposite of all you are saying?? And his name was Christopher Reeve http://www.christopherreeve.org/ mamajama, it is blatantly obvious that we are talking about different ideas of "beauty." Was Christopher...
Quote: Originally Posted by girlndocs In a world where people with darker skin have consistently been marginalized and demonized, there is zero chance that a "personal preference" against them is just spontaneous and idiosyncratic. You know, I have learned a lot of things in this thread. But what I still do not understand is why a personal preference against dark skin can NEVER be just a personal physical preference. We are ONLY able to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Snowy Owl Why should it be removed? There is racism here, but no one is attempting to incite hatred. Therefore there is a chance people who didn't realize they are indeed racist can learn something. Yes. You know, I started this thread because I could not comprehend why anyone would consider it racist to not be physically attracted to black people. I wanted to learn. I don't think I am racist - I don't like...
"Why on earth would I fold underwear??" - is my first thought! and then my second thought is "Why on earth wouldn't I match up socks? How else would I find a matching pair when I'm in a hurry?" So, you can guess my answers