or Connect

Posts by fire_in_july

Oh wow, I wake up terrified every morning that I am doing harm to my baby. I am SUCH a stomach sleeper. I force myself to go to sleep every night on my side, but in my sleep I always turn to my stomach - so I wake up in that position every morning. I am 34 weeks and this is still happening! Please tell me there's no harm to the baby, only my discomfort upon waking!
Do you live in any sort of subsidized housing? Because if you do, they unfortunately have the right to dictate absurd levels of "cleanliness" - as in "nothing may sit on the floor except for furniture" and "nothing may be on kitchen counters other than small kitchen appliances and sealed storage containers" (personal experience from years ago here - I was told I was not keeping a clean apartment because there was a child's toy wagon on the living room floor, and several...
I have very long straight hair (gets tangly due to length) and my DD has wavy/curly hair (gets tangly due to texture). I *love* Back to Basics Sunflower detangler spray - I use it on both of us. When detangling DD's hair I: 1) make sure I use conditioner every time I wash it! 2) liberally spray it with the detangler spray before brushing/combing, making sure I get the underneath layer as well as the top layer 3) Use a WIDE tooth comb or a boar-bristle style...
Quote: Originally Posted by my~hearts~light OMG. I just have to say. DO you realize how much mites and crap are ina 10 year old pillow? AH! It's a biohazard! But, ummm, wouldn't they be killed/washed away every time you wash your pillows??
Quote: Originally Posted by Shonahsmom There is seriously not one thing I can think of regarding race or physical traits that would prevent me from getting to know someone. There's not one thing regarding physical traits that would prevent me from *getting to know someone* either. However, there are several that would (at least as proven thus far by history) prevent me from being sexually attracted to them, wanting to kiss them, etc. If...
I'm sure I have many, but here's one that comes to mind - I thought the word "gaudy" was "God-dy", as I had only HEARD it, never seen it in print. One night I overheard my mom and dad talking about ordering my sister and I some dresses from a catalog. My dad said about one, "I don't know, it's awfully gaudy." Not knowing the word, I heard it as "God-dy" and was picturing a dress with little pictures of a haloed praying Jesus all over it! Imagine my surprise when my...
Quote: Originally Posted by shaywyn Well, I was kinda being a jerk However, to me it sounds derogatory unless it is someone referring to their own hair. I would be very offended if someone referred to my dd's hair as kinky or even my dh's. Maybe because I've heard other's use it derogatorily in the past. Maybe it's my own opinion. s'okay. What is the non-derogatory term for it then (I mean, to you personally - obviously my friends don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Starr I think its a good idea if I not look at the bed bug site. Yeah, I'm going to skip that one too - lalalala, they don't exist.... I ALWAYS bring my own pillows everywhere. My own comforter too if I can get away with it space-wise. It's a comfort thing!
Quote: Originally Posted by shaywyn Ok, gotta completely read all these replies But, one quick question............What the hell is the definition of "Kinky Hair?" Would that mean curly? Coarse? Both? ....Oh, and forgive me if I Obviously I need to find another word. I didn't realize "kinky hair" was offensive or not understood. I have 2 friends who always speak of their own "kinky hair." I thought it was a descriptive term - ie, in...
Quote: Originally Posted by boingo82 Because it seems like someone who was "black" but doesn't look it would not be as negatively affected by stereotyping - I mean, they would internally but they would not in terms of getting a job Ah, and here we come back to an inherent problem - how do we decide who is "black" (or "white" or any race)? Is the green-eyed, milk-white skinned, carroty-and-straight redheaded daughter of two bi-racial parents...