or Connect

Posts by fire_in_july

Quote: Originally Posted by mmaramba race is not really a physical characteristic...stay with me now. I know it seems Take a look at this... http://www.pbs.org/race/002_SortingP...02_01-sort.htm And get back to me. But that's why I asked if it would be less offensive if she couched it in terms that actually WERE physical characteristics. (very interesting site BTW. I'm one who doesn't understand why we have to characterize by...
Among men in general, I prefer no facial hair (or just a bit of 3-day stubble sometimes!) But DP has a mustache and goatee, and honestly, I think he personally looks so much better WITH them! One thing I have NEVER been able to get into though, is the big-and-full, full-face, thick, bearded and mustached look. My dad has sported this look my entire life. It's MY DAD. I just can't break that connection. Even when it's Brad Freakin Pitt wearing the big full beard. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by mmaramba Okay, trying to be gentle here, but: You are listening to yourself, right? Because you just said that "I don't date black men" is no more racist than saying "I don't date short men." I think you mean bigoted, because short is not a race. In any event, I still disagree. It is POSSIBLY not bigoted not to date black men. But why mention it? It's the fact that she mentioned it aloud for no...
Quote: Originally Posted by zipperump-a-zoomum Also, reverse the sentiment that many here are expressing (that it is the darker skin color people find unattractive), and imagine a man saying, "I just don't find Black women attractive." Is that offensive? Racist? I personally think the answer is yes to both. Kaly I know I'm going all over the place here, but this topic has opened several fascinating sub-topics for me.... What about the...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamajama "I don't date short guys" I think that is lame as well. For some different reasons and some similar reasons. It is not the same as the racist comment because it's not blatantly racist. But it is objectifying human beings. It is mean. It does nothing to further love and self-esteem in anyone. It dehumanizes people. If that's how you feel, I say, keep it to yourself and pray for wisdom. mamajama, in a...
I did not mean to upset anyone by starting this thread. You all have made some interesting points and I thank you for the replies. I am getting the idea that the objection is categorizing ALL "black" men as having similar physical characteristics, even if we are JUST talking about physical characteristics. The reason I asked is because I have a friend who does not date black men. I never thought of her as being racist for saying such, as I know it is about...
Another thread has me truly curious - how many would find the statement "I don't date black guys" to be racist - in and of itself? I would not. Absent the person going on to talk about how black men were "stupider" than white men or "lazier" than white men, or what have you, I would just assume it is a personal physical preference, and that we all have them to some extent (though some people are better than others at caring less about what the outside of a person looks...
CONGRATS!!!! And may the United States of the Morals Police soon see how asinine they are being and allow your marriage to be recognized in EVERY state!!!
Quote: Originally Posted by swimmin_mama Let me give you an idea of what she's said: "I don't date black men." Maybe opening a can of worms here, but not a racist comment to me at all. No more so than someone saying "I don't date blondes," "I don't date short men," etc. It's a personal dating/physical attraction preference. Quote: "Yeah, I dated one of those [meaning a person of color] for about five minutes and that was...
Quote: Originally Posted by meowee Lol, thanks for your replies. I also hate it when SAHMing is not regarded as work. DH is home only 3 days a week, the rest of the week he is in a hotel (with maid service, take out, cable TV, and no kids). He does have to travel a lot but still, on the days he's here, he needs to help IMO. I'm lucky if he does the dishes once. Holy cow, if I got to spend 4 days a week in a hotel with maid service, take...