or Connect

Posts by SquishyKitty

Quote: Originally Posted by ReadingMama I've had friends with giant dogs who growl at the kids (one family had Great Danes and one family had rotties). The kids were bugging the dogs and so the dogs gave warning growls. It freaked me out (as I have a friendly-to- everyone lab mix who tries to lick milk off of babies' mouths), but the parents watched for any other posturing or behavior that would indicate aggression and they never found any. One of the...
Your dog needs to learn who the leader is, and it isn't him. If it doesn't get fixed soon, he will resort to correcting his pack. Keep them separate, young children should never be allowed to crawl around on a dog or attempt to play with them. Correct ON THE SPOT if there is any more growling, and keep them separated unless you can 100% supervise.
Any breeder that 1) Uses a one year old sire and 2) Rehomes the sire when he displays normal dominant dog behavior (this is why sires are often kept away from pups when they are young) is not worth soliciting. The dog hasn't even fully grown into his body to know if he'll have hip problems or any other issues. If they are breeding him at 1 year, chances are likely that they have a lot of other things that haven't been done, like training or socializing, and the dog...
I find that people are generally very intimidated by big dogs, regardless of the temperment. I would hesitate to get any of the larger, strong-willed breeds unless you are going to put A LOT of time and training into the dog. (This is where getting an adult dog would also be helpful....if they've outgrown the puppy they might not be as high-energy). We got our two big girls at 9 months old, so they were housebroken, but they hadn't had much training. Since they are...
I think adult dogs are great to adopt, it just takes longer to find one that is a good fit. I'd go with a rescue that does temperment testing to ensure that the dog is okay with small kids, and preferrably one that is fostered with a family that has kids already. You had the dog prior to having your child, so there was no way to foresee the issues. But, if you get a dog now with the child in mind, there's no saying you won't find a great dog who loves kids. I'd...
I would only separate him from the rest of your pets if you feel he might have something communicable. Which, right now you don't know so it might be best. I'd also take him in for an overall check-up and heartworm test. He could have bortadella, which is highly contagious and hard to get rid of if your other dogs are vaxed for it. (most dogs aren't unless they're boarded) I also wouldn't vax him until you get him healthier. For food, puppy food is good but I...
Do you have another door? Is it one door? Is she afraid of the door itself? Our mastiff is terrified of doors swinging and the baby gate we put up sometimes. TERRIFIED. Once they are open, she's fine. I would see a behaviorist, they can help you work through the issue.
I would make sure the rash isn't related to her fever, and otherwise keep her home and resting while it runs its course. DS recently had an allergic reaction that looked at first like a heat rash, but then turned into a full body rash. Turns out he's allergic to an antibiotic he was on, so I'm sorry he had to suffer, but I'm glad we know now that he's allergic or the reactions could have gotten steadily worse.
I would take her to the doctor. DS had that once, and it turned out to be strep. Every time he gets strep, it manifests with a tummy ache.
Quote: Originally Posted by zebra15 I am now the owner of a French Bulldog and well.... I love her. Shes a 'companion' dog so thats basically low mainteance. Shes content to sleep in her litle couch most of the day. They are NOT overly active dogs and they are indoor dogs. They have short hair. THey can handle short walks but not much else THEY DO NOT SWIM. max wt is 28 lbs.... THey have a tendancy for tummy issues so she is on grain free...