or Connect

Posts by wek524

I would say it's definitely possible. But a lot depends on your situation and the support system you have. I just finished nursing school this spring and I have a 4 (almost 5) yr old girl and a 3.5 yr. old boy. My daughter was 18 months when I started school. 9 months after that we adopted our son. It took me 3 yrs to get through the 2 yr program (it was a second bachelor's for me) because I took some time off when our son came home. I'm glad I have it done, but it...
My dd's younger--she'll be three this week, but she's been averaging 2-3 times per month for the last three months. She really only wants to nurse in the middle of the night--not at all during the day. Last night she nursed and it had been 15 days since the time before. (I've been keeping track too cause I don't want to miss it.) She went from nursing 4-6 times a day at 2.5 to nursing 2-3 times per month 3 months later. It dropped off really fast even though I was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Just1More So...all the exposure to the hormone can, at a minimum, cause early puberty in girls, sometimes just breast enlargement (even at a very young age, I've read some as early as 18 months...), others more symptoms of puberty. When my daughter was 6 months old, her pediatrician noted that she had "breast buds". He asked if I drank a lot of soy milk. I didn't, but asked why he thought that. He said that they...
I have absolutely no ideas, but saw that you didn't have any responses yet so I thought I'd bump it in case anyone else has dealt with this. I'm so sorry. This sounds really difficult and exhausting and I hope you're able to figure it out. My only thought would be food allergies or something else that's making her really physically uncomfortable. It just seems that it would be unusual for her to go from such a good sleeper to having such a hard time so quickly. ...
I started nursing my adopted son when my bio daughter was 27 months. It was really hard at first. She suddenly wanted to nurse all. the. time. And I too was concerned about supply for him--although he was 7.5 months and eating some solids. But I was still supplementing some with milk I pumped before he came home. My daughter went from nursing a few times during the day to wanting to nurse every hour just like her brother. And of course every time she saw him nursing,...
Quote: Originally Posted by chocolatefish Argh my wee boy has been doing that roll-sit up-cry thing for weeks now, ever since he started to get onto his hnds and knees. He would even do it in his sleep, just the slightest flicker of wakefulness and he was like a baby possessed by the need to crawl - then he would open his eyes and wail! My son went through a couple weeks where he would do the EXACT same thing. He would wake himself up so many...
My son is from Ethiopia too. I don't think that there's anyone who thinks there's anything wrong with it (at least not in my experience). Mostly I think people are just surprised. I think most people just aren't aware of adoptive breastfeeding. I've had a few people make comments like, "oh, I thought he was adopted, but I guess not." I sometimes correct them and usually their response is, "wow, that's so cool, I didn't know you could do that."
This is just my very humble opinion, but I would do it. I went back to school and had an evening class when my daughter was around 22 months. Honestly, in the beginning, there were a few nights that were kinda hard for DH and a few nights when she was still awake when I got home. But, overall, it went sooo much better than I expected it to. They would have date night and go get dinner together and then come home and get ready for bed. The first few nights, DH laid in...
My DH is Chinese and I'm white and our daughter is has a darker complexion than me, but not particularly asian-looking eyes. When people find out she's half asian, their comment is often how big her eyes are (although thankfully I've never had anyone use the term slanty, or chinky--that's so awful). People often think she's latino when DH isn't around. Of course, now that we've adopted our son from Ethiopia, the racial comments are much less often about her. We...
In addition, special education students with mental or physical disabilities were more likely to receive corporal punishment, according to the ACLU and Human Rights Watch. That whole article was extremely sad and disturbing, but this line was what really got me.