or Connect

Posts by msjd123

Quote: Originally Posted by Caneel It depends on whether the fireplace is designed to throw heat efficiently. Some just really for pretty. I little heat might get thrown in the immediate area but nothing more. The ones with a thermostat that will throw heat are rather expensive and really don't heat more than just one room. That's what I was going to say. I've had 3 different gas fireplaces in 3 different homes, and they were all...
Quote: Originally Posted by mar123 I teach in a public school in LA. I pay 20% in taxes, retirement, insurance, etc- everything and I make a lot more than 35K. I would double check how many deductions (he may have claimed 0, have him claim however many are in your family)he is taking. How much is insurance? Anything else you are having taken out? I know I don't pay social security b/c I pay into the teacher retirement system. Is it the same there? ...
Have you guys seen this? http://www.controlyourcredit.gov/ It's awesome! I read it about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/bu...in&oref=slogin and that whole article made me so happy because I just started teaching a personal finance class for middle schoolers, and I'm loving how many resources are out there! : As for Bad Credit Hotel, I may have to save it up for when we need a special treat, and I'll be waiting for the YouTube version of the PSA's!
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglyn Yep,I do. And nurturing a childs individual talents and interests IS educating them,not supplementing and I agree that it is the parents job. Not the governments. I know its not a popular opinion. To whoever said its only 10,000 per child per year in public school, i guess not or parents wouldnt be footing the bill for all kinds of 'extra' stuff that is required for a basic education yet the schools cant afford. ANd...
Well, the whole reason I'm curious about this is that DH was the one who suggested I keep it all for myself! I thought that was very sweet but seriously, what the heck am I going to do with that kind of money? I'm the one who has to mull over a $20 pair of sweats; I'm certainly not about to start spending upwards of $500/month! : I think I'll probably keep some of it as fun money (because seriously, the work sucks enough that I need some incentive) but we'll...
This should help: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...at-ing-direct/ This, too: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...thly-expenses/
Quote: Originally Posted by Hunterhope I've actually found that clothes that are hung to dry usually might only need a quick touch up with an iron. : That's what I was going to point out as well. Line-drying often makes clothes a little stiffer and smoother, and as long as you "snap" stuff and pull them into shape, you often don't have quite as much ironing to do. I love line-drying, though, and I think you kind of have to enjoy it to...
DH and I both work full-time at the same jobs and we get paid almost the exact same salary. (I make slightly more because I have 2 years' experience on him, but we're on the same pay schedule.) I'm thinking of taking on some overtime work, though, that would pay me roughly $150 extra per week, so approx. $600/month before taxes. We already handle all of our finances jointly except for a small amount of cash we each get every month that's our own "mad money" to do with...
Normally, we'd continue our usual habits of contributing to our IRA's and 403b's, but because of some unexpected and expensive home repairs (one word: MOLD! : ) we'll be sitting 2009 out just so we can rebuild our emergency fund. I'm actually kind of bummed about not contributing, so I'll probably try to sneak a few bucks in here and there if some extra money comes our way. We have to rebuild our savings, though, so that will be our priority.
Quote: Originally Posted by EFmom We spent a few years in a very high COL area. Never again. While there were some nice things about it, the COL far outweighed the good. Same here. I grew up in the Bay Area and used to fantasize about moving bak there, but I'm over that now. Where we live in the greater LA area, we can have a solidly middle class life. In the Bay Area, we'd be cramped, stressed, and financially squeezed. Life and...