or Connect

Posts by msjd123

Quote: Originally Posted by sillygrl Hrmm.... sorry mama, but from what it looks like, you wouldn't be bringing in really all that much more $$, with half of your income going straight to daycare, and then deciding how much goes to gas for you to get the kids there and get yourself to work. Is that the best you can find for income? Looking at that, what do you think you could cut back on? Sorry, I'm not great with finances I agree. Are you...
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglyn The system is too far gone to be repaired imo, we need to do away with them entirely and start from scratch. Go back to one room classrooms,charter schools, montesori and yes, homeschooling. I dont see public schools as a waste of my tax money, I see it as something much worse, because my tax dollars are funding bullying, sexual harrassement, drugs, teen pregnancies, etc. and basically the warehousing of children. All...
A&A, I'm not a debater either -- I was just curious about your stance. I'm actually an English teacher, too, so I can kind of see where you're coming from , and I can respect your reasons for thinking that way. My own thoughts on this issue are more along these lines: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/mar...i-depression20
Quote: Originally Posted by bczmama "Quite likely, actually." And your basis for this is? I, too, would be very interested in a rational explanation of this because I don't buy this AT ALL. Katheek77, dh and I had the same debate, and we've decided to stay true to the assett allocation we decided upon before things went south. We're 31 and 34, so we have at least 25-30 more working years ahead of us. I really believe that we'll be fine,...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaChel Um...exactly *why* do you think he won't be able to work until he dies? That's just what people tend to do when they don't have other resources. I, personally, know of several people who either have or will work until the day they die for various reasons. In the event he becomes disabled before he dies and is unable to work, there are social insurance programs in the US at least that will help to support him (SSD,...
MIL is dating a man whose financial situation shocks me. He's a self-employed painter who does not pay into Social Security, has dropped his health insurance because it was too expensive (he's a smoker and in his 60's -- good luck with that), has almost no savings, and plans to just paint houses until he literally drops dead. Oy. Seriously, though, what happens to people like that? Obviously he really won't be able to paint until the bitter end, so then what? I don't...
Just call us a hybrid. We both work, and we have joint checking and savings for almost everything, but then we each have our own personal checking accounts, too. We could have just taken our mad money as cash or a subcategory of the joint checking, but this actually keeps it easier, and I hate cash anyway.
I have done this a couple of times and I know how stressful it is. Do call your insurance and ask them all your questions. They're usually very helpful and you have a right to have all those questions answered. When my insurance went up, it was only after the second time ( ) and even then, it wasn't much at all. Maybe $10 a month? ETA: How old are you? That makes a difference. If you're under 25, your rates may rise more than if you're over 25.
I heard about Muslim mortgages on NPR a while back, and was fascinated: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d...lim_mortgages/ I'm fairly certain you don't have to be Muslim in order to actually get one either.
Your location is listed as the Westside; do you live in the Los Angeles area, by any chance? I, too, would be interested to know which classes you're taking and what the end goal is because there are so many jobs that don't require grad school and that pay decently. I'm mainly thinking of public service jobs, but I don't quite understand why you haven't even been able to land a cashier's job. Not trying to make you feel bad -- just trying to figure out what the...