or Connect

Posts by msjd123

Even FEMA recommends 2-liter soda bottles: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/water.shtm#1
Quote: Originally Posted by PenelopeJune Thank you piggle! I saw it the first time you posted and it gave me a great idea. Of course, I'm going to have to bum 2 liters off of people because I have a whopping ONE! We buy pop MAYBE once a month or so. I wonder if vinegar jugs would work? We have a boatload of those, but they aren't the same plastic. I just took an intensive disaster preparedness course through the fire department, and they...
That does sound good! Does it discuss personal finance at all, or just the government?
Inquiring minds want to know what you thought! Or are we all too cheap, er, frugal to see it in the theater? I know I am -- that's why I want reviews!
Quote: Originally Posted by katheek77 How silly am I? The IKEA catalog came in the mail (nifty stuff!), and I went through it just casually looking for a bed (eventually) for DD, and they had a trundle type bed, and my first thought was "For all the sleepovers she'll have!" I can't wait until she's a little older and has little friends that can spend the night...and, as I pointed out to DH, usually little friends reciprocate, and with an only...
Quote: Originally Posted by mnnice For me a big consideration would be are you leaving any employer match on the table. DH current job matches the first 6 percent of his 401 k $. I would keep that going even if I thought my emergency fund was inadequate (as long as I thought I could grow it each month). I don't think we'd chose to save more (either in an employer plan or Roth) until the emergency fund was bigger We contribute to a state...
Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess We should get a good $30 - 40,000 after everything is said and done, so I don't think using $1000 for food will be a problem. I wouldn't base my decision on that, but it would be a perk if we do sell. Anything else? Wait a sec, though. Have you owned your home at least 2 years? I'm only asking because if it has been less than 2 years, then I think it's possible you may owe income taxes on the...
Quote: Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess We own our house. Our interest rate is very, very high. We are in the process of getting a loan remodification done with a lawyer. So worse case scenerio, our mortgage is $1600/mo. Good possibility it will go down to $1000. My husband lost his job last year, the day he went back to work after being off for the birth of my daughter. He's a mechanic, so it's been a rocky road of employment since then - no...
What about a Nissan Versa? We were looking at Honda Civics, Honda Fits, Priuses, and Corollas, but the Versa hatchback won us over. We already have a Nissan Maxima we inherited, and I kid you not when I say that the rear leg room for backseat passengers in the Versa is just as great as in the Maxima. It's a shockingly roomy car! I also love that I sit a little higher than I do when I drive the Maxima (or any sedan for that matter); I'm short, so I like having a...
I haven't read all the responses, so I apologize if this is redundant, but here's what I do: I know what my problem spots are, i.e. the things that, when I let them go, they make me feel bad about myself. I splurge a little on those, and I buy quality items that last a long time and really do the job well. For me, those things amount to good quality skincare products to control my acne (I feel so ugly when my face is all broken out), figure-flattering pants (because a...