or Connect

Posts by msjd123

LOL, sounds like us too! My dd is getting pickier by the day, so I've been trying various things, but I can't say she's in love with any of them. Still, here are my suggestions: chicken salad tuna salad crackers and hummus mini-bagel with pasta sauce on top ("pizza") white bean spread (pureed white beans w/ olive oil and some seasoning) veggie pancakes (make pancakes and then finely grate in carrots, zucchini, and apple)
Quote: Originally Posted by alisaterry I don't know if it has been mentioned here (I haven't read all the posts) but my sister's husband earns $100,000 a year but loses about $40,000 in taxes. Add that their share of health insurance is about $700 a month with a $2,000 deductible and it actually doesn't leave a whole lot left over for her mortgage (a modest townhome) and utilities. The more they earn, the more the government takes, so they can't get to a...
Towels and pillowcases once a week. Sheets every other week.
Quote: Originally Posted by Patrick's mummy Hi all I thought it might make a good thread to think about how to do a children's birthday party frugally. My ds1 was 5 recently and we are having a party for him this weekend. My frugal ideas so far..... - We only just started having parties for him at age 4, before then just a meet up with friends at the park.. - We are having a joint party with a friend who has an August birthday so halving the costs -...
Quote: Originally Posted by rubelin wow, I don't realize just how high the COL is here until I see other people's numbers. I'm in Los Angeles, single mom household with 2 kids. Ex still shares some expenses and does his laundry here. Rent - $1275 (GREAT deal on 3 bdrm on 1/5th acre) Health Insurance - ex pays, don't remember the numbers but it was pretty low for fam. of 4 Car Insurance - $300 ('05 Odyssey, '07 Sentra) car - $450 (for my Odyssey,...
DH and I have been texting more and more, but it's not included on our plan, so each text message is 20 cents, and, well, you know how quickly that adds us. Last month, for example, DH and I had 82 text messages, and our total bill was $93. Yikes! So, I called to inquire about getting a plan that included unlimited text messaging. It turns out that was going to be $30 a month. Um, no; we'd be better off paying for them one by one then. When I said that, gee, I...
Ours has been reminding us of its old age, so I'd like to start looking, but I know that for some things, there are better and worse times of year to buy things. Does anyone know about dishwashers?
Quote: Originally Posted by kirstenb I just feel sad when I see that, because I see the aftermath of all that lifestyle financing. The people who owe more in monthly payments on CC bills than what they make a month. The people who are in the habit of continuously refinancing their home to payoff CC debt and now are in danger of losing it. There are people who do have debt from emergency situations, but I would say a majority that I see have it from...
Here, this will make everyone else feel better, LOL! Rent: We own a smallish home in a very high cost of living area. Our mortgage is $2200/month including taxes and insurance. Health Insurance: Free (totally paid for by our employer) Car Insurance: $106/month for a '95 Nissan Maxima and an '08 Nissan Versa Cable: $30/month for the most basic plan Cellphone: $75/month for 2 phones Electricity and Water: (Los Angeles combines water and power on one bill, and...
Is it safe to assume that you looked into some other job options aside from the school job and the one you currently have? I'm only asking because I think you could easily make $6,000 a year during school hours, but neither situation you've presented here seems all that ideal. The school job does sound very good, but spending $8 a day on gas just to get there is definitely a lot. There are many jobs in the public school system that pay very well. DH and I are both...